Even though Dec Unix aka Compaq Unix is not popular, it has 1 feature I haven't seen
in other flavors of unix. That is the advfs (advanced filesystem) cloning. Check out
cloning filesets for backups. Saves disk space & minimizes down time. It takes a
snapshot/clone of the inodes and then copies the data that has changed since the clone.
HANDM_at_polaroid.com 02/22 1:22 PM >>>
We've been using Compaq/Digital hardware at my current job for 6+ years.
Our current setup is dual alpha 8400's (1 primary, 1 backup/reporting) with
8 EV6/660 CPUs & 12G Memory. OS is 40F. Storage is Compaq Storageworks with
HSZ & HSG70 controllers, disks are mirrored 5 ways using AFS & HW mirroring.
The next tier is 5 apps servers (3 4100's, 3 ES40's).

This environment supports a 500Gb SAP database on V8.0.6. I've been quite
satisfied with performance & reliablility as we are daily breaking disk
mirrors off of the primary and mounting them on the backup server for tape
backups and to create a reporting database instance.

The only major downtime we experienced in 2000 was part of a disk upgrade.
It seems the cable connecting the new disk cabinet was the wrong part number
and was too long. This resulted intermitant I/O errors which took a couple
of days to track down.

Regards,
Mike Hand
Polaroid Corp