So, I'll finally get the opportunity to upgrade our ERP database from 8.0.5
to 8i. I have two questions:

In my Ora Perf Tuning class, I remember coming to the conclusion that it
is very beneficial to export/import when upgrading to 8i, as opposed to
migrate-in-place, but I can't remember why. And it wasn't just the benefit
of a completely reorg'd DB. It seems to me that it had something to do with
differences between 8.0 and 8i in the data blocks or something.

Can anyone think of a reason to go with 8.1.7 over 8.1.6 or vice-versa,
for HP/UX 11.0? My initial reaction is to start w/8.1.6, but I may not get
another chance to do an upgrade for another year. Also, all clients (NT
PCs) will probably remain at 8.0.5.

TIA, and I'll summarize the answers! :)

Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA

Disclaimer: Name one nation that has taxed itself into prosperity. (Sorry,
couldn't resist...;)

Author: Jesse, Rich
INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

  • Janardhana Babu at Feb 16, 2001 at 10:23 pm
    8.1.7 is the terminal release for 8i databases and also make sure that you
    have the correct NETBACKUP media management s/w for 8.1.7 if you are using
    RMAN with NETBACKUP. As far as I know, NETBACKUP version for 8.1.7 will not
    be released until Aug 2001. Iam not able to upgrade from 816 to 817 because
    of the NETBACKUP. You are fine if you are not using NETBACKUP.

[...]

    This message has been scanned for viruses with Trend Micro's Interscan
    VirusWall.
    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com

    Author: Janardhana Babu
    INET: jbdonga_at_ucdavis.edu

  • Mandar Ghosalkar at Feb 17, 2001 at 1:46 am
    one of the reason maybe that migration is only "officially" supported to
    a base release (eg: 8.0.6.0, 8.1.6.0, 8.1.7.0). what if u hv to 8.1.6.3
    (assuming 8.1.6.3 exists..)

    -Mandar

    Author: Jesse, Rich
    INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com