i have a user named abc ... he had a password of 22xyz ... i had to
temporarily change the password to abc_temp ... i tried to change the
password back to 22xyz ... and get the following error ...

Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production

SQL> alter user abc identified by 22xyz_p;
alter user abc identified by 22xyz_p

*

ERROR at line 1:
ORA-00988: missing or invalid password(s)

pls help ... tia

thank you ...
nechama glasrot
561-981-0635
nglasrot_at_edata.com

Search Discussions

  • Terry Ball at Dec 28, 2000 at 7:15 pm
    When a password starts with something other than a character, you
    need to enclose it in double quotes to change it.

    Terry

    "Glasrot, Nechama" wrote:
    i have a user named abc ... he had a password of 22xyz ... i had to
    temporarily change the password to abc_temp ... i tried to change the
    password back to 22xyz ... and get the following error ...

    Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning option
    JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production

    SQL> alter user abc identified by 22xyz_p;
    alter user abc identified by 22xyz_p
    *
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-00988: missing or invalid password(s)

    pls help ... tia

    thank you ...
    nechama glasrot
    561-981-0635
    nglasrot_at_edata.com

    --------
    Think you know someone who can answer the above question? Forward it to them!
    to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_LAZYDBA.com
    to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_LAZYDBA.com
    Visit the list archive: http://www.LAZYDBA.com/odbareadmail.pl
  • Glasrot, Nechama at Dec 28, 2000 at 7:24 pm
    terry ... thanks so much ... yup that did it! ...

    thank you ...
    nechama glasrot
    561-981-0635
    nglasrot_at_edata.com

    "Glasrot, Nechama" wrote:
[...]

  • Glasrot, Nechama at Dec 28, 2000 at 7:27 pm
    and now for the other baffler ...
    user abc originally identified by something ... password unkown to dba but i
    have the encrypted value from dba_users' table ...
    i changed the id password temporarily ... now i need to change it back to
    its original value ... can this be done?

    again ... TIA ....

    thank you ...
    nechama glasrot
    561-981-0635
    nglasrot_at_edata.com

    "Glasrot, Nechama" wrote:
[...]

  • William Beilstein at Dec 28, 2000 at 7:35 pm
    alter user abc identified by values '22xyz_p';
    "Glasrot, Nechama" 12/28/00 02:10PM >>>
    i have a user named abc ... he had a password of 22xyz ... i had to
    temporarily change the password to abc_temp ... i tried to change the
    password back to 22xyz ... and get the following error ...

    Oracle8i Enterprise Edition Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production
    With the Partitioning option
    JServer Release 8.1.6.0.0 - Production

    SQL> alter user abc identified by 22xyz_p;
    alter user abc identified by 22xyz_p

    *

    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-00988: missing or invalid password(s)

    pls help ... tia

    thank you ...
    nechama glasrot
    561-981-0635
    nglasrot_at_edata.com=20

    --=20
    Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com=20
    --=20
    Author: Glasrot, Nechama
    INET: nglasrot_at_edata.com=20

  • Glasrot, Nechama at Dec 28, 2000 at 7:39 pm
    thank you all once again ... like duh ... i definitely think it's time to go
    home ... happy new year to all ...

    thank you ...
    nechama glasrot
    561-981-0635
    nglasrot_at_edata.com

    Author: Glasrot, Nechama
    INET: nglasrot_at_edata.com

  • Glasrot, Nechama at Dec 28, 2000 at 7:46 pm
    an added fyi ... if you surround the encrypted password with single ticks
    'encrypted password' you get the following error ...

    SQL> alter user abc identified by 'A8561025DBD09074';
    alter user abc identified by 'A8561025DBD09074'

    *

    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-00988: missing or invalid password(s)

    however if you surround the encrypted password with a "encrypted"
    it completes successfully ...

    User altered.

    i really have no way to verify that it is correct as the customer does not
    know the correct password ... i guess i'll assume it's ok till i get beeped
    otherwise ... thank you and i apologize for my recurrence of blonditis (
    with apologies to the blondes out there) ...

    thank you ...
    nechama glasrot
    561-981-0635
    nglasrot_at_edata.com

    Author: Glasrot, Nechama
    INET: nglasrot_at_edata.com

  • Terry Ball at Dec 28, 2000 at 7:51 pm
    syntax is

    alter user identified by values '';

    Note that the encrypted values is enclosed in single quotes.

    Terry

    "Glasrot, Nechama" wrote:
[...]

  • Norwood Bradly A at Dec 28, 2000 at 8:00 pm
    Perhaps, OEM or sqlplus..........

    Note: Oracle recommends that you do not change passwords using the ALTER
    USER statement because it does not fully support the password verification
    function. Instead, you should use Oracle-provided tools such as SQL*Plus or
    Enterprise Manager to change passwords

    Author: Glasrot, Nechama
    INET: nglasrot_at_edata.com

  • Ron Rogers at Dec 28, 2000 at 8:28 pm
    nechama,
    If you have profiles created for the users the profiles can enforce =
    password administration: no reuse of the same password, time expiration, =
    time warning, etc. Check PASSWORD_REUSE_TIME and PASSWORD_REUSE_MAX in the =
    profile of the user.

    ROR m=AA=BF=AAm
    nglasrot_at_edata.com 12/28/00 02:10PM >>>

    Author: Glasrot, Nechama
    INET: nglasrot_at_edata.com=20

  • Ron Rogers at Dec 28, 2000 at 8:46 pm
    nechama,
    I did some checking after my first response. I could not find it in any =
    of my books BUT the password can not begin with a number or special =
    characters.
    Sorry to have sent you on a goose chase about the profiles.
    ROR m=AA=BF=AAm
    Bradley.A.Norwood_at_M1.IRSCOUNSEL.TREAS.GOV 12/28/00 03:05PM >>>

    Author: Glasrot, Nechama

    Author: Norwood Bradly A
    INET: Bradley.A.Norwood_at_M1.IRSCOUNSEL.TREAS.GOV=20

  • Rocky Welch at Dec 28, 2000 at 9:42 pm
    Hi Nechama,
    I seem to remember that you can update the user's password with the
    encrypted value. Any opinions?

    Author: Glasrot, Nechama
    INET: nglasrot_at_edata.com

    Rocky Welch
    Senior Consultant - Internet Services Group
    Arthur Andersen
  • Gregory Conron at Dec 28, 2000 at 9:56 pm