--=_7C277508.84E58F2F

As anyone seen this:

Two weeks ago on different servers, during the weekend,an 8.1.6 production=
=20
database started to refuse all network connections. Stopping and restarting=
=20
the listener did not help. Stopping and restarting the database resolved =
the=20
problem.
Today, upon arrivial I learned this time it was happening to one of our =
8.1.6=20
development databases. This time, shutting down of the database was=20
unsuccessful (shutdown never completed). Messages in the alert.log for =
the=20
shutdown as follows:

Shutting down instance (immediate)
License high water mark =3D 31
Mon Dec 18 07:46:22 2000
Errors in filee:\oracle\trace\ORA00488.TRC:
ORA-27103: internal error
ORA-01089: immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are permitted

This is probably due to sessions trying to connect (this was an Oracle=20
Financials database) and the Concurrent Manager background tasks had =
refused=20
shutdown, probably since could not connect to the database.
Previous to this message were no other errors in the alert log so =
Oracle=20
apparently did not realize it was having a problem.
Other 8.1.6 databases on this same box continued to function so the =
listener=20
appears to be okay.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
(216) 781-4204

--=_7C277508.84E58F2F

As anyone seen this:
&nbsp;
Two weeks ago on different servers, during the weekend,an 8.1.6 production
database started to refuse all network connections. Stopping and restarting
the listener did not help. Stopping and restarting the database resolved the
problem.Today, upon arrivial I learned this time it was happening to one
of our 8.1.6 development databases. This time, shutting down of the database
was unsuccessful (shutdown never completed). Messages in the alert.log for
the shutdown as follows:
Shutting down instance (immediate)License high water mark = 31Mon
Dec 18 07:46:22 2000Errors in
filee:\oracle\trace\ORA00488.TRC:ORA-27103: internal errorORA-01089:
immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are permitted
This is probably due to sessions trying to connect (this was an Oracle
Financials database) and the Concurrent Manager background tasks had refused
shutdown, probably since could not connect to the database.Previous to
this message were no other errors in the alert log so Oracle apparently did
not realize it was having a problem.Other 8.1.6 databases on this same box
continued to function so the listener appears to be okay.
&nbsp;
Jeffrey BeckstromDatabase AdministratorGreater Cleveland Regional
Transit Authority1240 W. 6th StreetCleveland, Ohio 44113(216)

Search Discussions

  • Aponte, Tony at Dec 18, 2000 at 3:14 pm
    The same scenario happed to us last week. Research on Metalink pointed us
    to the listener.ora configuration file. We had EPC_DISABLED=TRUE set for
    pre-8.1.6 versions of the databases. Everything was running fine until last
    week and we haven't been able to determine any changes that would have
    triggered the problem. We don't plan to pursue it any mode since removing
    the parameter fixed the problem.

    Hope it helps.

    Tony

[...]

  • Jeffrey Beckstrom at Dec 18, 2000 at 6:25 pm

    --=_98C391A2.A1C0AA08

    So far only the 8.1.6.x databases have the problem, not our 7.3/8.6 =
    databases. Good thought though.
    "Aponte, Tony" 12/18/00 10:21:28 AM >>>
    The same scenario happed to us last week. Research on Metalink pointed us
    to the listener.ora configuration file. We had EPC_DISABLED=3DTRUE set =

    Author: Aponte, Tony
    INET: AponteT_at_hsn.net

    --=_98C391A2.A1C0AA08

    So far

    only the 8.1.6.x databases have the problem, not our 7.3/8.6 databases.&nbsp;
    Good thought though.&gt;&gt;&gt; "Aponte, Tony" &lt;AponteT_at_hsn.net&gt;
    12/18/00 10:21:28 AM &gt;&gt;&gt;The same scenario happed to us last
    week.&nbsp; Research on Metalink pointed usto the listener.ora configuration
    file.&nbsp; We had EPC_DISABLED=TRUE set forpre-8.1.6 versions of the
    databases.&nbsp; Everything was running fine until lastweek and we haven't
    been able to determine any changes that would havetriggered the
    problem.&nbsp; We don't plan to pursue it any mode since removingthe
    parameter fixed the problem.Hope it
    helps.Tony-----Original Message-----Sent: Monday, December
    18, 2000 9:01 AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LAs
    anyone seen this:Two weeks ago on different servers, during the weekend,an 8.1.6 production database started to refuse all network connections.
    Stopping and restarting the listener did not help. Stopping and restarting
    the database resolved theproblem.Today, upon arrivial I learned this
    time it was happening to one of our8.1.6 development databases. This
    time, shutting down of the database was unsuccessful (shutdown never
    completed). Messages in the alert.log for the shutdown as
    follows:Shutting down instance (immediate)License high water mark =
    31Mon Dec 18 07:46:22 2000Errors in
    filee:\oracle\trace\ORA00488.TRC:ORA-27103: internal errorORA-01089:
    immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are permittedThis is
    probably due to sessions trying to connect (this was an Oracle Financials
    database) and the Concurrent Manager background tasks had
    refusedshutdown, probably since could not connect to the
    database.Previous to this message were no other errors in the alert log so
    Oracle apparently did not realize it was having a problem.Other 8.1.6
    databases on this same box continued to function so the listenerappears
    to be okay.Jeffrey BeckstromDatabase
    AdministratorGreater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority1240 W. 6th
    StreetCleveland, Ohio 44113(216) 781-4204-- Please see the
    official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com--" rel="nofollow">http://www.orafaq.com">http://www.orafaq.com-- Author: Aponte,
    Tony&nbsp; INET: AponteT_at_hsn.netFat City Network
    Services&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- (858) 538-5051&nbsp; FAX: (858) 538-5051San
    Diego, California&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; -- Public Internet
    access / Mailing

    Lists--------------------------------------------------------------------To

    REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail messageto:
    ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and inthe message
    BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L(or the name of mailing list
    you want to be removed from).&nbsp; You mayalso send the HELP command for
  • Aponte, Tony at Dec 18, 2000 at 8:51 pm
    I'm sorry for my miscommunication. I mean to say that the parameter was set
    a long time ago while the databases were pre-8.1.6 versions. We've since
    upgraded them to 8.1.6 but did not remove the parameter. The databases
    affected in our shop are all 8.1.6 versions.

    Author: Aponte, Tony
    INET: AponteT_at_hsn.net

  • Aaaa wwwwww at Dec 19, 2000 at 3:07 am
    Dear Beckstrom

    I think it is purely Network problem
    We faced similar situation
    We rebooted our DNS server

[...]