Hi list,

I have a NT Box with Oracle 7.3.4 and Oracle 8.1.5 installed. Now I =
like to
install Oracle 8.1.6 on the same box (no upgrade, parallel to the other
versions). Anyone had done the same or some expierences with such a
environment?

TIA

Volker Sch=F6n
E-Mail: mailto:v.schoen_at_inplan.de
http://www.inplan.de

Search Discussions

  • Schoen Volker at Dec 7, 2000 at 4:20 pm
    Hi list,

    I have a NT Box with Oracle 7.3.4 and Oracle 8.1.5 installed. Now I =
    like to
    install Oracle 8.1.6 on the same box (no upgrade, parallel to the other
    versions). Anyone had done the same or some expierences with such a
    environment?

    TIA

    Volker Sch=F6n
    E-Mail: mailto:v.schoen_at_inplan.de
    http://www.inplan.de

    Think you know someone who can answer the above question? Forward it to them!
    to unsubscribe, send a blank email to oracledba-unsubscribe_at_LAZYDBA.com
    to subscribe send a blank email to oracledba-subscribe_at_LAZYDBA.com
    Visit the list archive: http://www.LAZYDBA.com/odbareadmail.pl
  • Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com at Dec 8, 2000 at 1:02 pm
    --0__=Kz6uE8r9dRxC1OsCsEdGcssqGBHPhNO1agfGMgcQsNqllZfHOGp3UT0w

    I have not done this, but there should be some papers on Oracle site. The
    problem you will most likely experience is the difference in file configuration
    (8 and above support OFA), the directory structure was completely different in
    7x. Plus you will need to reasearch the registry entries that conrol oracle and
    its default file locations. Also there were issues in 7x will multiple oracle
    homes. I remember opeing a tar for this in 7x, oracle sent me script with
    BATCH files to change the oracle home for each app and changing registry values
    each time! What a mess, I refused to implement such a messy technical
    workaround! and it came from Oracle itself! ugh!

    I would search the interent. I have seen many articles and papers on this
    subject but did not have the need to look into it. BUT, I would research the
    matter thoroughly first amd implement only after every single last question has
    been answered and also search for messages of people who had issues doing it in
    order to be prepared.

    Sorry t6hat I can't remember the links. If I get time today, I do an initial
    for you and post it.

    Hannah

    Schoen Volker on 12/07/2000 10:33:11 PM

    Please respond to ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com

    Author: Schoen Volker
    INET: v.schoen_at_inplan.de

  • Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com at Dec 8, 2000 at 1:09 pm
    PS. Maybe its not necessary but this article is a good place to start:

    check out the following:

    http://kenpo.msun.edu/grace/Oracle8i/Doc/server.815/a68694/Output/ch4.htm

    Here's an excerpt, it states that you cannot implement mutliple homes in 7.x :

    Before 8.0.4 Releases of Oracle for Windows NT and Windows 95 prior to release
    8.0.4 only supported
    single Oracle homes, allowing you to install and run Oracle products in a single
    Oracle home. Different
    releases of Oracle products could be installed in the same Oracle home provided
    they had different first or
    second-digit release numbers. For example, you could install release 7.2
    products and release 7.3 products
    and release 7.x and 8.x products in the same Oracle home. However, you could not
    install multiple third-digit
    releases of the same products. For example, you could not install release 7.3.2
    and release 7.3.3 of the same
    Oracle products on the same computer; one installation would overwrite the other

    WARNING:

    Multiple Oracle homes functionality only works with releases 8.0.4 and later. It
    does not work if you have,
    for example, release 7.3.3 products already installed on your computer. You
    cannot install release 7.3.4
    products in a separate Oracle home.
  • Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com at Dec 8, 2000 at 1:21 pm
    I did an interent search on

    +Database +Co-existence +oracle

    and alot of material came up with exactly want you need.....
  • Hannah.M.Doran_at_sb.com at Dec 8, 2000 at 1:29 pm
    Sorry for the multiple post, but wanted to add one more thing:

    You may want to configure 7.3.5 and 8.1.5 in one oracle home and 8.1.6 in
    another oracle home. The reason is that somewhere this am, I read that two
    oracle versions with the same major number cannot exist together in ONE oracle
    home, as there would be shared files that would be overwritten.

    I believe that this is true for 8.1.5 and 8.1.6

    I haven't read all of the docs because its not a task that I need to do, but
    just wanted to give you a final heads up.

    Hannah
  • Dmitriy M. Labutin at Dec 8, 2000 at 2:49 pm
    Hi,

    I managed four DB (7.3.3,8.0.5,8.1.5 and 8.1.6) on the same box w/o
    problems.

    Cheers,
    Dimitri