------_=_NextPart_001_01C05943.A27C2620

charset="iso-8859-1"

Hi all -

Is there any way to set a users' password to expire every 30 days or
something? I see in the doco that I can expire passwords immediately, but I
don't see how I can set up recurring password expiration. I could do it
through cron I guess but what a pain... !

Thanks for any suggestions

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933
C: 954.658.5849

http://www.qode.com

"The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position
of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."

------_=_NextPart_001_01C05943.A27C2620

charset="iso-8859-1"

user password expire

Hi all -

Is there any way to set a users' =
password to expire every 30 days or something?&nbsp; I see in the doco =
that I can expire passwords immediately, but I don't see how I can set =
up recurring password expiration.&nbsp; I could do it through cron I =
guess but what a pain... !

Thanks for any suggestions

Lisa Rutland Koivu
Oracle Database Administrator
Qode.com
4850 North State Road 7
Suite G104
Fort Lauderdale, FL&nbsp; =
33319

V: 954.484.3191, x174
F: 954.484.2933
C: 954.658.5849
http://www.qode.com" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.qode.com

&quot;The =
information contained herein does not express the opinion or position =
of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon =
Qode.com.&quot;

Search Discussions

  • William Beilstein at Nov 28, 2000 at 2:53 pm
    Are you talking about OS or Oracle passwords? If OS, which one.
    "Koivu, Lisa" 11/28/00 09:00AM >>>
    Hi all -=20

    Is there any way to set a users' password to expire every 30 days or
    something? I see in the doco that I can expire passwords immediately, but =
    don't see how I can set up recurring password expiration. I could do it
    through cron I guess but what a pain... !

    Thanks for any suggestions

    Lisa Rutland Koivu
    Oracle Database Administrator
    Qode.com
    4850 North State Road 7
    Suite G104
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319

    V: 954.484.3191, x174
    F: 954.484.2933=20
    C: 954.658.5849

    http://www.qode.com=20

    "The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position
    of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."
  • lerobe - Lee Robertson at Nov 28, 2000 at 2:57 pm
    If its UNIX passwords then you can set it to expire. The exact method is
    dependant on the OS.

    If it is Oracle, then I believe you can do this by using profiles from
    Version 8.

    www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle <http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle>
    /98-Jul/or8.html

    Hope this helps

    Lee Robertson
    Acxiom
    Tel: 0191 525 7344
    Fax: 0191 525 7007
    Email: lerobe_at_acxiom.co.uk

    http://www.qode.com <http://www.qode.com>

    "The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position
    of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."

    named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader
    of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
    re-send this communication to the sender and delete the
    original message or any copy of it from your computer
  • Koivu, Lisa at Nov 28, 2000 at 3:01 pm

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C0594C.23D39CD2

    charset="iso-8859-1"

    The Oracle password. I've been messing with the profiles, but once I set
    PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME, PASSWORD_REUSE_TIME and PASSWORD_GRACE_TIME I got some
    odd error :

    SQL> alter profile default limit password_life_Time 30;

    Profile altered.

    SQL> connect user/pw_at_qodd
    ERROR:

    ORA-01841: (full) year must be between -4713 and +9999, and not be 0

    Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE.
    SQL>

    So I set it back to unlimited. I also tried setting it to 10/2000 and got
    the same error.

    Bueller? Bueller?

    Thanks

[...]

    RE: user password expire

    The Oracle password.&nbsp; I've been messing with the =
    profiles, but once I set PASSWORD_LIFE_TIME, PASSWORD_REUSE_TIME and =
    PASSWORD_GRACE_TIME I got some odd error :

    SQL&gt; alter profile default limit =
    password_life_Time 30;

    Profile altered.

    SQL&gt; connect user/pw_at_qodd
    ERROR:
    ORA-01841: (full) year must be between -4713 and =
    +9999, and not be 0

    Warning: You are no longer connected to =
    ORACLE.
    SQL&gt;

    So I set it back to unlimited.&nbsp; I also tried =
    setting it to 10/2000 and got the same error.

    Bueller?&nbsp; Bueller?

    Thanks

    Lisa Rutland Koivu
    Oracle Database Administrator
    Qode.com
    4850 North State Road 7
    Suite G104
    Fort Lauderdale, FL&nbsp; 33319

    V: 954.484.3191, x174
    F: 954.484.2933
    C: 954.658.5849
    http://www.qode.com" =
    TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.qode.com

    &quot;The information contained herein does not =
    express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to =
    or made binding upon Qode.com.&quot;

    Are you talking about OS or Oracle passwords? If OS, =
    which one.

    &gt;&gt;&gt; &quot;Koivu, Lisa&quot; =
    &lt;lkoivu_at_qode.com&gt; 11/28/00 09:00AM &gt;&gt;&gt;
    Hi all -

    Is there any way to set a users' password to expire =
    every 30 days or
    something?&nbsp; I see in the doco that I can expire =
    passwords immediately, but I
    don't see how I can set up recurring password =
    expiration.&nbsp; I could do it
    through cron I guess but what a pain... !

    Thanks for any suggestions

    Lisa Rutland Koivu
    Oracle Database Administrator
    Qode.com
    4850 North State Road 7
    Suite G104
    Fort Lauderdale, FL&nbsp; 33319

    V: 954.484.3191, x174
    F: 954.484.2933
    C: 954.658.5849
    http://www.qode.com" =
    TARGET=3D"_blank">http://www.qode.com

    &quot;The information contained herein does not =
    express the opinion or position
  • Ron Rogers at Nov 28, 2000 at 3:06 pm
    Lisa,
    If your os is HP you can set the password to expire from 1-63 weeks and =
    set the minimum time between password changes 0-63 weeks. You can also =
    edit the password file and add the min,max value to the end of the =
    encripted password.
    Be sure to look the proper format in the manuals. I made the assumption =
    that you were talking about the os password because you were using cron to =
    expire them.

    ROR m=AA=BF=AAm
    lkoivu_at_qode.com 11/28/00 09:00AM >>>
    Hi all -=20

    Is there any way to set a users' password to expire every 30 days or
    something? I see in the doco that I can expire passwords immediately, but =
    don't see how I can set up recurring password expiration. I could do it
    through cron I guess but what a pain... !

    Thanks for any suggestions

    Lisa Rutland Koivu
    Oracle Database Administrator
    Qode.com
    4850 North State Road 7
    Suite G104
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319

    V: 954.484.3191, x174
    F: 954.484.2933=20
    C: 954.658.5849

    http://www.qode.com=20

    "The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position
    of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."
  • Ruth Gramolini at Nov 28, 2000 at 3:38 pm
    Lisa,

    When you create or alter a user using OEM there is an option to expire the
    password now. The command is 'alter user USERNAME password expire;' but if
    you try to look it up in the doc's there is nothing.

    Sorry I couldn't be of real help. Enter an iTAR in Metalink and see what
    the 'experts' have to say.

    Regards,
    Ruth
    Is there any way to set a users' password to expire every 30 days or
    something? I see in the doco that I can expire passwords immediately, but I
    don't see how I can set up recurring password expiration. I could do it
    through cron I guess but what a pain... !

    Thanks for any suggestions

    Lisa Rutland Koivu
    Oracle Database Administrator
    Qode.com
    4850 North State Road 7
    Suite G104
    Fort Lauderdale, FL 33319

    V: 954.484.3191, x174
    F: 954.484.2933
    C: 954.658.5849
    http://www.qode.com

    "The information contained herein does not express the opinion or position
    of Qode.com and cannot be attributed to or made binding upon Qode.com."
  • Holman, Rodney at Nov 28, 2000 at 3:55 pm

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C05953.A59A2838

    charset="iso-8859-1"

    If you are on 8.x the answer is yes. You can use user profiles to age and
    force password rules.

[...]

    If you
    are on 8.x the answer is yes.&nbsp; You can use user profiles to age and force
    password rules.

    -----Original Message-----From: Koivu, Lisa
    Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2000 08:01
    AMTo: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject: user
    !
    target=_blank>http://www.qode.com
    "The information contained herein
    does not express the opinion or position of Qode.com and cannot be attributed
    to or made binding upon Qode.com."
  • Jamadagni, Rajendra at Nov 28, 2000 at 4:05 pm
    Lisa

    This is from my 8i Release 2 Doco ...

    The following statement causes user FRED's password to expire:

    ALTER USER fred PASSWORD EXPIRE;

    If you cause a database user's password to expire with PASSWORD EXPIRE, the
    user (or the DBA) must change the password before attempting to log in to
    the database following the expiration. However, tools such as SQL*Plus allow
    you to change the password on the first attempted login following the
    expiration.

    Note: Oracle expects a different timestamp for each resetting of a
    particular password. If you reset one password multiple times within one
    second (for example, by cycling through a set of passwords using a script),
    Oracle may return an error message that the password cannot be reused. For
    this reason, Oracle Corporation recommends that you avoid using scripts to
    reset passwords.
  • Koivu, Lisa at Nov 28, 2000 at 5:26 pm

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C05960.5A69C4EC

    charset="iso-8859-1"

    Hi Ruth, thanks for your reply.

    I tried that command too - for some reason some of the sql*plus clients
    didn't like it, and the users would unsuccessfully try to change their
    password, over and over. I gave up and removed that 'password expire'
    clause, reset their password and again was hoping against hope that they
    would indeed change their passwords.

    You're right, time for a tar. Hopefully I'll get the 'expert' who 'helped'
    me this morning with our downed production database.

    Thanks again

    Author: Ruth Gramolini
    INET: rgramolini_at_tax.state.vt.us

    ------_=_NextPart_001_01C05960.5A69C4EC

    RE: user password expire

    Hi Ruth, thanks for your reply.

    I tried that command too - for some reason some of =
    the sql*plus clients didn't like it, and the users would unsuccessfully =
    try to change their password, over and over.&nbsp; I gave up and =
    removed that 'password expire' clause, reset their password and again =
    was hoping against hope that they would indeed change their =
    passwords.

    You're right, time for a tar.&nbsp; Hopefully I'll =
    get the 'expert' who 'helped' me this morning with our downed =
    production database.&nbsp;&nbsp; &lt;smirk&gt;

    Thanks again
    Lisa

    When you create or alter a user using OEM there is an =
    option to expire the
    password now. The command is 'alter user USERNAME =
    password expire;' but if
    you try to look it up in the doc's there is =
    nothing.

    Sorry I couldn't be of real help.&nbsp; Enter an iTAR =
    in Metalink and see what
    the 'experts' have to say.

    Regards,
    Ruth