Hello everyone,

Where does one go to get a list of what the Oracle binaries in
$ORACLE_HOME/bin stand for? eg, dbassist is Oracle Database Assistant? I
know I can just do a trial and error type of test by just running the
binaries but I don't really want to just run anything without knowing what
it does in the first place!

eg. try running "dbassist -?" and it comes back with "DISPLAY not set. Set
DISPLAY environment variable, then re-run." Huh? Ok, it needs x-term. But
what the heck is it?

One work-around would be to install the same version on NT and then look at
the programs it calls from the icons, but G, this is taking it too far! Some
people don't have to luxury of an NT box to play around with, let alone
using it to just find out what the heck each binary stands for.

Thanks,

Leng.

Leng M Kaing
Email: leng.kaing_at_hancorp.com.au

Tel: 9843-8440
Fax: 9843-8590

the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com

Search Discussions

  • John Kanagaraj at Nov 2, 2000 at 9:19 pm
    Hi Leng,
    Where does one go to get a list of what the Oracle binaries in
    $ORACLE_HOME/bin stand for? eg, dbassist is Oracle Database Assistant? I
    know I can just do a trial and error type of test by just running the
    binaries but I don't really want to just run anything without knowing what
    it does in the first place!
    How about using 'strings' on the executable? Also check the IUG
    (Installation & Users Guide)...

    John Kanagaraj
    http://www.geocities.com/john_sharmila
    ** God so loved the world that he didn't send a committee **

grouporacle-l @
categoriesoracle
postedNov 2, '00 at 12:36a
activeNov 2, '00 at 9:19p
websiteoracle.com

2 users in discussion

Leng Kaing: 1 post John Kanagaraj: 1 post