Fellow DBA's

Got a question for you, I have a client who is looking to change their database
character set from US7ASCII to to support the following languages:
American English, German, French and Spanish. I was going to suggest to them
to use WE8ISO8859P1 as a database character set, but was inclined to suggest
going ahead with UTF-8. I have used UTF-8 on one database, and so far no
problems, but wanted to know if anyone has any horror stories or anything to
make me feel better about going either way. Any suggestions would be
appreciated...

Thanks in Advance...
Tom Tyson

Do You Yahoo!?
http://im.yahoo.com/

Search Discussions

  • Tom Tyson at Oct 31, 2000 at 6:23 pm
    Fellow DBA's

    Got a question for you, I have a client who is looking to change their database
    character set from US7ASCII to to support the following languages:
    American English, German, French and Spanish. I was going to suggest to them
    to use WE8ISO8859P1 as a database character set, but was inclined to suggest
    going ahead with UTF-8. I have used UTF-8 on one database, and so far no
    problems, but wanted to know if anyone has any horror stories or anything to
    make me feel better about going either way. Any suggestions would be
    appreciated...

    Thanks in Advance...
    Tom Tyson

    Do You Yahoo!?
    http://im.yahoo.com/
  • Weaver, Walt at Oct 31, 2000 at 7:20 pm
    I just moved some Portuguese and Spanish schemae from WE8ISO8859P1 to UTF8.
    No real horror stories, but data that took up one byte in the WE8IS8859P1
    character set takes three in UTF8, due to the accented characters.

    I initially had problems exporting and importing the data, due to the
    increased storage requirements. I wound up recreating the objects in the
    UTF8 database by creating a database link to the WE* database and doing a
    "create table abc as select * from abc_at_WEDB where rownum < 1". Doing this
    created the columns with the right size.

    The changes in size didn't break our application.

    Next week I get to move a German site...

    --Walt Weaver
    Bozeman, Montana, USA

    Author: Tom Tyson
    INET: tomtysonjr_at_yahoo.com

  • Diana Duncan at Oct 31, 2000 at 7:24 pm
    Well, since the database you've used UTF8 on is probably mine...;-)

    I like it. No problems so far, but I've only tried to load French in this
    one so far (other than the English)

    I used UTF8 on a prior project which used pretty much all of the European
    languages, and it worked great. Just make sure you are careful when you
    export and import.

    Cheers!
    Diana

    (BTW, ready for live date, Tom?;-)