I have been asked to put together a quote for a UNIX box that will run an
Oracle Database. The database is relatively small and will not have lots of
HW requirements. I though Linux was something to look into, due to the low
cost of the OS. In looking into Redhat Linux I saw they had a 'special'
enterprise edition for Oracle. Well upon calling them they said their
standard version had some issues with Oracle, and they had altered their
kernel to suit Oracles needs. Does this mean they went in a configured some
options within the kernel? Or is this a different kernel? The tech I spoke
to was not able to say.

Bottom line is this...Linux off the shelf is under $100. The special
enterprise edition runs $2500.

All I am doing is building the box, and installing Oracle.

Thanks for any insight you might send my way.
Steve McClure

Search Discussions

  • Richard Ji at Oct 4, 2000 at 9:17 pm
    You can still run Oracle on the regular edition of Red Hat. The special
    edition for Oracle will give you large file support, raw device support,
    etc. But if the database is small like you said and if it doesn't carry too
    much user then you probably won't need those features.

    Richard

    Author: Steve McClure
    INET: steve_at_pactr.com

  • Dgoulet_at_vicr.com at Oct 5, 2000 at 2:02 pm
    Steve,

    I've had Oracle 8.0.5 on a Red Hat 5.1 Linux box for over a year with no
    problems. The OS I actually got from Borders as I bought a Red Hat book for
    $35. The Oracle software was acquired by my boss on a lark to see if this had
    any potential. We're thinking of putting one outside the firewall for external
    needs. It may give us a way around Oracle's Power Unit pricing by using a lower
    end single processor Intel 133 box especially since there will be less than
    200MB of data, mostly queries & few insert/update actions.

    Dick Goulet

    Author: Steve McClure
    INET: steve_at_pactr.com

  • Dennis Taylor at Oct 5, 2000 at 4:08 pm
    If you are going to be putting linux outside a firewall, better upgrade a
    whole bunch. 5.1 has more holes than swiss cheeze. You'll be root-kitted
    within minutes.

    Author: Steve McClure
    INET: steve_at_pactr.com

    INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

    ---
    Dennis Taylor
    ---
    Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas
  • Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com at Oct 5, 2000 at 5:26 pm
    What does root-kitted mean?

    Cherie
  • Seth Dunehew at Oct 5, 2000 at 5:55 pm
    A rootkit is a collection of scripts and/or executables that are used to
    gain root or superuser access to a Unix box. Some versions of Unix are much
    more susceptible than others. Earlier flavors of Redhat are very vulnerable
    without a little tweaking and patching.

    http://www.linuxsecurity.com/resource_files/documentation/hacking-dict.html#
    xRx has a good definition of a root kit, and the site has some pretty good
    resources for Linux security.

    www.rootprompt.org has a great series that was written by a sysadmin
    cleaning up after a hacker. No rootkits were used but gives a good idea of
    what can happen during and after a break-in.

    HTH

    Thanks

    Seth Dunehew

    Author: Steve McClure