Any ideas? 936 kb vs 480 Mb is good size difference. It's been like this for
two days. du reflects what I see in the directories.

df -k /opt/oracle
Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
/dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/Oraclefiles

479982 479514 0 100% /opt/oracle

du -dsk /opt/oracle
936 /opt/oracle

Search Discussions

  • I.S. Manager at Jul 25, 2000 at 10:50 pm
    Two things can cause this type of discrepency:

    File space is not released back to the filesystem as long as any process
    has the file open. You can, therefore, create a big file, open it with some
    program (not vi), delete it from the directory, and not see any change in
    the df until the program is closed. In fact, that's a good way to create
    hidden workfiles in unix programs, which are cleaned up automatically when
    the program ends.

    Based on what you're saying, this is probably the case. 'fuser' might help
    you locate the file and program.

    2) Unix filesystems are weird in that you don't have to actually allocate
    all the space for a given size of file. You can, for instance, create a
    file in a program, write 1K bytes at the beginning of the file, fseek to
    the 1MB point, write another 1K bytes, and close the file. The file will
    show as 1MB size, but will only *use* 2K on the disk.
    Any ideas? 936 kb vs 480 Mb is good size difference. It's been like this for
    two days. du reflects what I see in the directories.

    df -k /opt/oracle
    Filesystem kbytes used avail capacity Mounted on
    /dev/vx/dsk/rootdg/Oraclefiles
    479982 479514 0 100% /opt/oracle

    du -dsk /opt/oracle
    936 /opt/oracle

    - Paul
    Author: Troiano, Paul (CAP, GEFA)
    INET: Paul.Troiano_at_gecapital.com

    ---
    Dennis Taylor
    ---
    The opinions expressed herein are mine. Get your own opinions!
  • Troiano, Paul (CAP, GEFA) at Jul 26, 2000 at 2:39 pm
    No linked files. It only contains a couple of utility scripts that I put
    there. It would have to count them many times to make up the difference
    between 936 k and 480 MB.

    Paul