Kristen,

It wasn't clear to me whe you said the developers are doing an
"update". Do you mean the error happened when an "update" statement
was being executed? Or were they upgrading the Oracle software?

re: general DBA issues, I agree with what Mladen is saying, except
that assuming you are a public service agency, you are probably
looking to run a system just a teeny tiny bit less expensively than
eBay does. :)

And it is possible to do so. It may not be as performant, safe and
secure as you would get with a high price dba team (which I'm
guessing is kind of hard to put together in the far reaches of NT),
but as long as it is good enough, it's well... good enough, right?

In case you don't have time to make all the major changes that Mladen
is suggesting you need to make, there are some short term solutions.
In my opinion, your best investment of your time is to call Oracle
tech support, tell them up front if your DBA skills are not very well
developed in this area (for instance, you have a data base built on
top of a default install that was extended without proper planning),
and ask for suggestions/documentation about how to work around the
issue.

Even more short term, don't worry, the purist DBA police will not
come and arrest you for adding datafiles to the system tablespace for
your temp stuff. Do you *really* need to worry about 11mb, or 20mb?
If not, just throw 50mb, or 100mb extra on the system tablespace so
you can spend you time on something more important, like training or
whatever. You *do* need to determine what risk you are exposing your
database to by doing so however, and probably start planning for a
redesign.

regards,
ep