The ES40 which is a mid-range system comes with 500mhz or 667mhz cpu's. I =
do not
recall ES40 with 440mhz cpu's? =20
dgoulet_at_vicr.com 5/8/00 7:44:22 AM >>>
Ok, I'm missing something here. To build and populate a database, from a =
full
DB export, on the Compaq ES40 that we were demo'ing took in excess of 2 =
hours.=20
Doing the same on an HP9000 N2000 class took only 45 minutes. I've got to =
go
back to a very old HP9000 847 to get performance similar to the Compaq and =
at
that the build/import time was a grand total of 1 hour & 55 minutes. Sure =
the
Compaq is cheaper that the HP hardware, but for an application that has a =
design
response goal of less than 5 minutes something here is dead wrong.

Author: "Frank Evans"
Date: 5/5/00 2:54 PM

Oracle on Compaq Tru64 (4100's and ES40's) in our evaluations and =
environment
are extremly fast. More bang for the buck than HP, Sun etc.

thanks frank
dgoulet_at_vicr.com 5/5/00 11:18:50 AM >>>
Hey Folks,

The other day three of us from my company went down to a Compaq site =
to try
out an Alpha 440MHZ machine with TRU64 as the OS. To put matters in a =
short
sentence, performance was a joke at best. I'm rather inclined to believe =
it was
the particular machine we were using as it is used for lots of demo work & =
is
consequently a mess. Do any of you TRU64 users out there seeing the same
performance???

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Vicor Corporation

Dilbert's Salary Theorem

Technicians & Engineers can never earn more than Managers. This is =
because:

Power =3D Work/Time
Knowledge =3D Power
Time =3D Money
therefore Knowledge =3D Work/Money
Solving for Money gives Money =3D Work/Knowledge
Now as Knowledge decreases to 0, Money heads for infinity regardless of =
Work.
--=20
Author:=20
INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com=20

--=20
Author: Frank Evans
INET: evansf_at_ohsu.edu=20

--=20
Author:=20
INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com=20

  • RAJMOHAN SAKTHI at May 9, 2000 at 12:51 pm
    Alright..I will throw my towel in too...( Oh Boy ..at last one thread I can
    say something 'bout :-) )....
    I am running on several HP and Compaq boxes and truly compaq sucks...No
    offence...HP will blow the roof of any compaq machine any time...If you are
    not getting that performance then there is a problem in your configuration
    somewhere.
    I 've benchmarked several machines for a 500G datawarehouse startup project
    and I found HP 9000 N class machine to be very good and cost effective (
    whatever that means !! ) for the performance demanded .

    RS

    Author: "Frank Evans"
    Date: 5/5/00 2:54 PM

[...]

    Power = Work/Time
    Knowledge = Power
    Time = Money
    therefore Knowledge = Work/Money
    Solving for Money gives Money = Work/Knowledge
    Now as Knowledge decreases to 0, Money heads for infinity regardless of
    Work.
    INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

    Author: Frank Evans
    INET: evansf_at_ohsu.edu

    INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

  • Dgoulet_at_vicr.com at May 9, 2000 at 1:59 pm
    Frank,

    OK, your right I did not really provide you guys/gals with enough
    information to really work with. Therefore:

    The Computer: Compaq ES40 I stand corrected it did have 500MHZ cpu's, 4 of them
    and 1GB of Ram. I'm not totally sure of the OS version, it was 4.x. The
    database version was 8.1.5.

    The drives: This was a system that is used extensively for demonstration
    purposes & consequently they had "scrounged" disk space for us. Some of it was
    mirrored, some on a RAID system (level unknown), some stand alone drive(s) and
    some NFS mounted (although we did NOT put any DB files out there, just the
    export dump file).

    We manually created the database with 100MB in system, 3x10Mb logs & 200 MB of
    rollback space for one segment before the import and only ran catalog.sql.

    We then did a full database import of 200MB of data in 2 user accounts creating
    6 additional tablespaces + having import create another 100MB of indexes.

    To try and make things "apples vs. apples" I've did both systems using 2Kb
    database block size & 500 db_block_buffers in no archive log mode (just because
    that's the way the Compaq was setup, not my choice).

    I know it's NOT optimal, but consistent performance with the same crappy setup
    would have been one heck of a plus for this machine & could have influenced us
    to use Alpha's vs. HP. I believe that the drives and their configuration were
    the problem. Anyone willing to go out on a limb & agree with me???

    What's your point. We have no idea of how much data is involved to do any
    kind of comparsion. We have no idea of the type file systems (RAID?,etc).

    We have no idea of how many cpu's were in the Compaq box. The only thing
    we know is that that you are making random comparsions of HP to Compaq.

    Author: Frank Evans
    INET: evansf_at_ohsu.edu

    INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

    Author: Frank Evans