Hi All
I wanted to install Drupal 6 / Drupal 7 in a 64 bit Ubuntu machine.
Just wanted to check if Drupal is compatible with 64 bit Ubuntu Linux
machine.

My machine's hardware profiles are -
1. CPU intel core *i5* 650 boxed 3.2 ghz socket 1156
2. MB intel P55 Chipset *DH55P* J Boxed
3. HDD WD SATA 2Tb 64MB cache

With above hardware profile, and Ubuntu 10.04 (*64 bit*) linux environment,
I am planning to install Drupal6/7.
If somebody has already done it , please share if you faced any problems.

Also in a 64 bit ubuntu linux machine, which webserver is recommonded.
I found some people using XAMPP. Is it the best one or you have someother
recommondations.
Load on web server will be high, at high load, I am looking for high
performing webserver.

Best Regards
Kamal
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Search Discussions

  • Kamparajan p at Feb 11, 2011 at 7:18 am
    In this link is very useful to you,

    http://www.howtoforge.com/ubuntu_lamp_for_newbies
[...]

  • Cameron Eagans at Feb 11, 2011 at 7:33 am
    Ubuntu has a PHP package and a MySQL package for 64 bit, so yes. Drupal,
    being written in an interpreted language is more or less platform/processor
    independent. The real question is whether you can get PHP and MySQL to run.
    In this case, you can.

    I usually try to stay away from howtoforge.com, but a really easy way to
    install a lamp server (just to get started) is to run 'tasksel' (without the
    quotes). You can then move the cursor down to "LAMP Server", hit the
    spacebar to select it, hit tab to move to the OK button, and hit enter.
    Ubuntu will then proceed to download and install all the packages that you
    will need.

    Please note that it will require some tuning to work well in a production
    environment, but in most cases, tasksel can at least get you started.

    Hope this helps!
    Cameron

[...]

  • Kamal Palei at Feb 11, 2011 at 7:51 am
    Cameron
    Thanks for 'tasksel' suggestion.
    Also you indicated "Please note that it will require some tuning to work
    well in a production environment".
    Can you kindly mention specific things I need to take care.

    Also if possible, please mention right drupal-book/document to follow.
    I am planning to use Drupal 6.

    Regards
    Kamal

[...]

  • Chris Skene at Feb 11, 2011 at 9:37 am
    This question is about running Apache and MySQL on a 64 bit Ubuntu environment, which should be relatively simple.

    Can I suggest you visit perhaps the Ubuntu forums for how to install and run these applications? This list of for Drupal development problems.

    http://bit.ly/gwmrRB

    c.
    Also you indicated "Please note that it will require some tuning to work well in a production environment".
[...]

  • Victor Kane at Feb 11, 2011 at 10:53 am

    Ubuntu has a PHP package and a MySQL package for 64 bit, so yes. Drupal,
    being written in an interpreted language is more or less platform/processor
    independent. The real question is whether you can get PHP and MySQL to run.
    In this case, you can.

    I usually try to stay away from howtoforge.com, but a really easy way to
    install a lamp server (just to get started) is to run 'tasksel' (without the
    quotes). You can then move the cursor down to "LAMP Server", hit the
    spacebar to select it, hit tab to move to the OK button, and hit enter.
    Ubuntu will then proceed to download and install all the packages that you
    will need.

    Please note that it will require some tuning to work well in a production
    environment, but in most cases, tasksel can at least get you started.
    Here's where we get off the beaten track: the man's asking if Drupal will
    run on Ubuntu 64, yes or no; a legitimate question; obviously the answer is
    yes.

    What you have to do as sys admin in any server in a production environment
    is another question, and it is no harder or easier in ubuntu 64 bit than any
    other.

    Hope this helps!
    Cameron

[...]

  • Kamal Palei at Feb 11, 2011 at 7:35 am
    Hi Kamparajan
    Thanks for quick reply. I hope the link you have given is extremely useful.
    But that may work fine with 32 bit machines. Does it work for 64 bit
    machines, that is my concern.

    Regards
    Kamal

[...]

  • Bob Hutchinson at Feb 11, 2011 at 10:41 am