Regards,
Pierre.

Search Discussions

  • Fgm at Jun 29, 2010 at 11:38 am
    However, note that, at least on Win32 and Lucid 32bits, the IDE tends to throw lots of JVM exceptions and crash a lot (like several times per hour), especially on large projects like a Drupal with a lot of contrib modules.

    Disabling Semantic Highlighting removes most of these problems.
    De : development-bounces at drupal.org [development-bounces at drupal.org] de la part de Pierre Rineau [pierre.rineau at makina-corpus.com]
    Date d'envoi : mardi 29 juin 2010 12:16
    ? : development at drupal.org
    Objet : [development] [OT] Eclipse Helios

    Hi all,

    I just tested Eclipse Helios, latest release from this month (using a
    Linux 64bits OS), and I felt a real change, PDT PHP editor seems to be
    really faster (and seems to do a better code completion also!).

    Others noticeable changes is, I did not tested yet, it seems they have
    reworked the JavaScript support.

    For Eclipse users, you should give this new release a trial, for others,
    if you ever have been looking for a good IDE, you might want to test it
    (I'm not forcing you guys, and don't want to throw a flameware).

    Regards,
    Pierre.
  • Pierre Rineau at Jun 29, 2010 at 12:15 pm

    Le mardi 29 juin 2010 ? 13:38 +0200, fgm a ?crit :
    However, note that, at least on Win32 and Lucid 32bits, the IDE tends to throw lots of JVM exceptions and crash a lot (like several times per hour), especially on large projects like a Drupal with a lot of contrib modules.

    Disabling Semantic Highlighting removes most of these problems.
    It also depends on the tuning you could have done in your eclipse.ini
    file.

    In all cases, raising the -Xms and -Xmx settings to a reasonable amount
    should cut off most the OutOfMemoryException.

    You might also want to raise the -XX:PermSize and -XX:MaxPermSize
    settings to a higher amount than default one.

    You can also activate the -Dide.gc=true options if you are funky.

    I currently use this settings, and it works really fine:
    --launcher.XXMaxPermSize
    256m
    -vmargs
    -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
    -XX:PermSize%6m
    -XX:MaxPermSize%6m
    -Xms512m
    -Xmx512m
    -Dide.gc=true

    Hope it can help,
    Pierre.
  • Larry at Jun 29, 2010 at 3:21 pm
    I actually had to downgrade from Helios back to Ganymede on my OS X
    system. I gave it plenty of RAM, but I still kept getting stack
    overflow errors when opening common.inc, theme.inc, and other large
    files. The code completion is actually useful in Helios, which is more
    than I can say for Ganymede, but the repeated bombing on large files
    combined with randomly breaking my debugger on certain projects forced
    me to go back to the previous version.

    I've heard that these are known, reported issues so I may try it again
    in a few months.

    Caveat emptor and all that.

    --Larry Garfield
    I just tested Eclipse Helios, latest release from this month (using a
    Linux 64bits OS), and I felt a real change, PDT PHP editor seems to be
    really faster (and seems to do a better code completion also!).

    Others noticeable changes is, I did not tested yet, it seems they have
    reworked the JavaScript support.

    For Eclipse users, you should give this new release a trial, for others,
    if you ever have been looking for a good IDE, you might want to test it
    (I'm not forcing you guys, and don't want to throw a flameware).

    Regards,
    Pierre.
  • Pierre Rineau at Jun 29, 2010 at 4:18 pm

    Le mardi 29 juin 2010 ? 10:21 -0500, larry at garfieldtech.com a ?crit :
    I actually had to downgrade from Helios back to Ganymede on my OS X
    system. I gave it plenty of RAM, but I still kept getting stack
    overflow errors when opening common.inc, theme.inc, and other large
    files. The code completion is actually useful in Helios, which is more
    than I can say for Ganymede, but the repeated bombing on large files
    combined with randomly breaking my debugger on certain projects forced
    me to go back to the previous version.

    I've heard that these are known, reported issues so I may try it again
    in a few months.

    Caveat emptor and all that.
    This is often what happens, X.0.0 versions are no good, wait for the
    first set of patches :) That's actually quite wise to wait for some
    updates to go.

    For the memory errors, I'm using it with the settings I gave in another
    mail earlier, and it works really fine on my box, you may want to check
    your eclipse.ini file. But for the other problems, I think you don't
    really have another choice than wait.

    Regards,
    Pierre.
  • Henrique Recidive at Jun 30, 2010 at 9:36 pm
    I'm using Helios for over a month now on my MacBook Pro with no
    problem. I'm quite happy with this.

    Henrique

[...]

groupdevelopment @
categoriesdrupal