Larry Garfield was pointing out the mess would be dealing with
different MySQL engines.
My pointer to a benchmark of pgsql raised a lot of fuss.

I'm developing a couple of modules that will run on pgsql and I
noticed how much I relay on "on delete cascade" and how much pain it
should be in terms of performances relying on "delete" users and node
hooks when you mass delete stuff.

MySQL already have those features, but I wouldn't dare to use them
right now. Anyway they will become more mature and more available (as
I said several times I like to have the chance to be unfaithful, and
the fact that MySQL is becoming a better product for the things I
need is much welcome).

Before laying down any plan for DB abstraction in D7 it would be nice
to see what are the common *easy to support* features across a bunch
of Free/non-Free(?) DB that people use most.

MySQL advocates consider this: the most used Open Source DB is going
to offer reliable(?) data integrity features to the masses shortly(?).
As other CMS will move to PHP5 and they will enjoy the benefits, they
will start to use more advanced DB features and enjoy the features.

As a side note I do really appreciate the fact that in MySQL you can
chose between different engines, I consider it a configuration
options and I do understand that MyISAM may be more suited for a
"static" CMS and that people do care about performances, but again...
I see Drupal as a CMS framework rather than a CMS so it should be
suited for different tasks.
There are tasks (and some of them are the tasks where the money are)
which aren't suited to MySQL, at least now...

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

Search Discussions

  • Earnie Boyd at Nov 28, 2007 at 10:26 pm

    Quoting Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail at webthatworks.it>:

    I see Drupal as a CMS framework rather than a CMS so it should be
    suited for different tasks.
    I see Drupal as a framework with CMS a mature Drupal feature.
    There are tasks (and some of them are the tasks where the money are)
    which aren't suited to MySQL, at least now...
    And improving the DB feature of the framework is to our benefit.

    Earnie -- http://for-my-kids.com/
    -- http://give-me-an-offer.com/
  • David Strauss at Nov 28, 2007 at 10:32 pm

    Ivan Sergio Borgonovo wrote:
    I'm developing a couple of modules that will run on pgsql and I
    noticed how much I relay on "on delete cascade" and how much pain it
    should be in terms of performances relying on "delete" users and node
    hooks when you mass delete stuff.
    A bunch of my modules require InnoDB. Check out PressFlow Transaction
    for some of my work. We'll probably work on significant transaction
    support in Drupal 7. The PHP 5.2 requirement will be invaluable to
    improving database interaction.