I'd like to separate my work from core Drupal. As of 5.x, Drupal supports the
sites/all directory, where I can put my modules and themes. And that's a
great step in the right direction.

However, to make my source code more manageable, I'd like my sites and
profiles to be outside the Drupal directory. Without going into too much
detail, this will allow me to manage my code with svn's externals property.

So today my directory structure looks something like this:

www/drupal-5.1/index.php
www/drupal-5.1/sites/
www/drupal-5.1/profiles/
www/drupal-5.1/[lots of other things]

And what I'd like is something like:

www/drupal-5.1/index.php
www/sites/
www/profiles/
www/drupal-5.1/[lots of other things]

The trick then would be to get Drupal to find my sites and profiles
directories. Is my only option to hack core? Any other suggestions?

Note that I don't want to set up symbolic links from www/drupal-5.1/sites to
my sites directories. I have my code (including the drupal core I am using)
in subversion, and I'd like to checkout out an entire site in a single step.
Having to replace Drupal's sites and profiles directories with symbolic links
is an extra step I'd like to avoid.

Thanks in advance for any help,

-Dave

Search Discussions

  • Boris Mann at Jun 10, 2007 at 12:00 am

    Note that I don't want to set up symbolic links from www/drupal-5.1/sites to
    my sites directories. I have my code (including the drupal core I am using)
    in subversion, and I'd like to checkout out an entire site in a single step.
    Having to replace Drupal's sites and profiles directories with symbolic links
    is an extra step I'd like to avoid.
    SVN supports symbolic links.

    See https://svn.bryght.com/dev/browser/bryghtbase/DRUPAL-5/trunk for
    an example layout. We have a top level modules, profiles, themes,
    modules, and patches directory. Symlinks abound.

    --
    Boris Mann
    Office 604-682-2889

    Quoting Boris Mann <boris at bryght.com>:
    Note that I don't want to set up symbolic links from www/drupal-5.1/sites to
    my sites directories. I have my code (including the drupal core I am using)
    in subversion, and I'd like to checkout out an entire site in a single step.
    Having to replace Drupal's sites and profiles directories with
    symbolic links
    is an extra step I'd like to avoid.
    SVN supports symbolic links.

    See https://svn.bryght.com/dev/browser/bryghtbase/DRUPAL-5/trunk for
    an example layout. We have a top level modules, profiles, themes,
    modules, and patches directory. Symlinks abound.
    This is cool. I'll have to give it a try. On windows directory
    junction points would probably work as well. Boris do you know how the
    windows client works in regard to a checkout from your server with the
    symbolic links? Does it create junction points or does it just create
    copies? I'll go ask an SVN list.

    Earnie
  • Boris Mann at Jun 10, 2007 at 11:23 pm

    an example layout. We have a top level modules, profiles, themes,
    modules, and patches directory. Symlinks abound.
    This is cool. I'll have to give it a try. On windows directory
    junction points would probably work as well. Boris do you know how the
    windows client works in regard to a checkout from your server with the
    symbolic links? Does it create junction points or does it just create
    copies? I'll go ask an SVN list.
    Don't know, good luck, wouldn't trust symbolic links on Windows.
    (erm....don't use Windows? and yes, I am serious....you an easily run
    VMware locally....)

    --
    Boris Mann
    Office 604-682-2889

[...]

    I'll second Boris. I'm using symbolic links in my SVN in a similar
    manner. I haven't tested it with profiles, but my structure is
    something like this:

    www/drupal-5.1
    www/local/
    www/local/modules
    www/local/themes
    www/local/files

    and in sites/all/ I've made symbolic links to ../../../local/modules
    and the same for themes. Files gets ../local/files placed in
    drupal-5.1. This works well because none of these directories are
    included with a default Drupal installation. After this I import the
    www directory into my repository and it works fine on the server and
    on my localhost.

    I tried putting all my profiles into a subdir under /profiles. i.e.
    at profiles/myprofiles/profilename.profile. But this doesn't work and
    results in a "failed opening ./profiles/profilename.profile" error.

    Are you having any other problems with symbolic links?

    -Mike
    __________________
    Michael Prasuhn
    mike at mikeyp.net
    http://mikeyp.net
    714.356.0168
  • Dave Cohen at Jun 10, 2007 at 7:18 am
    Thanks for the tip, guys. By checking the symbolic link into svn, it looks
    like I'll get what I want. I was afraid any developer checking out the tree
    would have to create a links manually.

    (Although I'm wondering if this works on Windows.)

    -Dave
    I'll second Boris. I'm using symbolic links in my SVN in a similar
    manner. I haven't tested it with profiles, but my structure is
    something like this:

    www/drupal-5.1
    www/local/
    www/local/modules
    www/local/themes
    www/local/files

    and in sites/all/ I've made symbolic links to ../../../local/modules
  • Moshe Weitzman at Jun 10, 2007 at 3:21 pm
    one more example - see the svn repository which advantagelabs makes
    available to the world. it has all core drupal versions and all of the
    top contributed modules. it is a real nice service. -
    http://svn.advantagelabs.com

    Dave Cohen wrote:
[...]

groupdevelopment @
categoriesdrupal