is it possible to create new project type on Drupal.org - installation
profile? Some translators have created own installation profiles for
their translation, blogger installation profile is proposed for Google
SoC.
Even people would IMHO notice, that something that installation profiles
exist and the absolutely greatest thing would be to be able to just
manage CVS which will automatically pack the profile into
profile.tar.gz.

Jakub
http://www.drupal.cz

Search Discussions

  • Robert Douglass at Feb 16, 2007 at 11:00 pm
    This is a good idea and should be cross posted to the infrastructure list.

    Hi,

    --
    * * * * *
    Lullabot's First Ever Advanced Workshops Are Here!

    Robert Douglass schrieb:
    This is a good idea and should be cross posted to the infrastructure list.
    This has already been discussed quite a bit on infrastructure.
    e.g.
    http://lists.drupal.org/private/infrastructure/2006-November/007055.html
    http://lists.drupal.org/private/infrastructure/2006-November/007079.html
    or a little summery on a proposal at
    http://groups.drupal.org/node/2163

    So there is some kind of consesus that, generally, installation profiles
    should be hosted on drupal.org. And there seem to be some voices in
    favor of improving the cvs packaging script to be capable of packaging
    the contrib modules that a distribution needs together with the install
    profile and maybe drupal core, in which I also am in favor of. See [1]
    for details.

    However, I agree with Boris Mann here:
    If there are some install profiles, the hosting requirements on
    drupal.org should be created. But install profiles should come first.

    So what I propose as a very simple first step is to create a new top
    level cvs directory for "install profiles", to foster collaboration on
    some first profiles. There is no need for project.module support for
    these right now as there is nothing that's suitable for an enduser
    available at the moment.

    If then some first install profiles (e.g. a "blogger" profile, a
    "collaboration" profile or a "devel" profile) are in some kind of alpha
    or beta state, we should definitly approach the package script
    improvements and adding a new top level project taxonomy term for
    distributions (and thus allowing the creation of public, browseable
    releases).

    [1] http://groups.drupal.org/node/2163
    Jakub Suchy wrote:
    Hi,
    is it possible to create new project type on Drupal.org - installation
    profile? Some translators have created own installation profiles for
    their translation, blogger installation profile is proposed for Google
    SoC.
    Even people would IMHO notice, that something that installation profiles
    exist and the absolutely greatest thing would be to be able to just
    manage CVS which will automatically pack the profile into
    profile.tar.gz.

    Jakub
    http://www.drupal.cz

    --