Hi,

We started discussing preliminary planning of the Dojo 2.0 release this
week during the meeting. Here is what is going on:

1. svn trunk is open to new bug fixes and feature enhancements again,
but *only* for changes that will not break backwards compatibility (i.e.
treat it like we are doing a 1.9 release). This may not bear mentioning
but of course the 1.8 branch is also open for regression and bug fixes
as usual.

2. Before moving forward with actually writing new code for a Dojo 2.0,
we need to do the following:
a. evaluate testing frameworks <http://plan.dojotoolkit.org/issues/68>
b. evaluate package managers <http://plan.dojotoolkit.org/issues/69>
c. figure out what parts of the toolkit people are using today
<http://plan.dojotoolkit.org/issues/70>
d. quickly build a short list of modules we know we want to carry
forward <http://plan.dojotoolkit.org/issues/71>

I am in the process of working on (c), but the other tasks are open to
anyone and everyone that wishes to assist. Just write your thoughts in
plan.dtk.org and we?ll discuss in two weeks. I?ve also received some
interest from some other parties that may be interested in working on
this roadmap, so you may see some new faces on the contributors list soon.

In 1.8 release news, it sounds like we want to do a 1.8.1 in 2 weeks or
so, as a few high-visibility bugs have been noted in the 1.8 branch.

That?s all for now!

Cheers,

--
Colin Snover
http://zetafleet.com

Search Discussions

  • Kitson Kelly at Aug 16, 2012 at 9:23 am
    Based on the conversations last night, I indicated I would provide my
    thoughts on packaging, which I have added here:
    http://plan.dojotoolkit.org/projects/general-requests/wiki/Packages.

    Also, I had a lot of thoughts bouncing around my head overnight based on
    the discussion and wrote out a rough structure for what seemed logical to
    me for Dojo Core:
    http://plan.dojotoolkit.org/projects/general-requests/wiki/Dojo_Core. It
    sort of fits into item D below, but instead of building it up, it drives it
    down from the top (which is the way my mind works) and I think it could be
    easy for us to figure out what, out of Dojo 1.X we can slot over as well as
    potentially break it down into manageable bites for easier discussion
    instead of trying to "boil the ocean".

    I also added a stub document for the tooling/wrap, where I will start
    writing my thoughts down later today:
    http://plan.dojotoolkit.org/projects/general-requests/wiki/Tooling.
[...]

    An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
  • Christophe Jolif at Aug 21, 2012 at 11:03 am
    Hi,

    For c/ I did a survey on our internal users that I've put a while ago
    at the bottom of this page:

    http://plan.dojotoolkit.org/projects/general-requests/wiki/DojoX_Packages

    I have removed from this survey the classes / packages that were used
    only by a limited number of users. Also this is not including the
    dojox packages I knew would be going into 2.0 for sure (mainly
    charting, gfx & mobile).

    I think this is a good reference as anything missing in this list will
    have to find alternative for a relatively high number of users.

    For 2/ before starting on 2.0 I was wondering if we had a "standard"
    strategy on how to create a github repo from a dojox svn package?

    - how to preserve revision history as much as possible?
    - should these transitioned packages be hosted on the dojo foundation account?
    - what about the few dojox project already hosted on github (app,
    calendar, dgauges) and linked into SVN? Do they keep their current
    repo?

    Christophe

    On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Colin Snover

[...]

  • Bill Keese at Aug 21, 2012 at 10:16 pm
    Thanks for sending the summary and adding the issues to plan.dojotoolkit.org.
    Also thanks to Kitson.

    If anyone has free cycles besides all the planning / prototyping work,
    there are lots of "AMD-conversion"-ish tasks needed for/before 2.0, most of
    which could be checked into svn trunk now, before branching the code. For
    example:

    - convert all test files (including robot tests) to AMD
    - switch to new APIs: dojo.connect() --> dojo/on, dojo.xhr -->
    dojo/request, dojo.data --> dojo.store, etc.
    - etc.

    Of course those tasks don't apply for deprecated modules that will be
    dropped in 2.0.