Here are the latest 1.7 website mockups from the designers. We're
looking for critical review as we're trying to get this finalized by
end of this week to be implemented/live by dec 17th:

Home - https://docs.google.com/open?id 7N7ke9daCqIYmE3YTc0ZmYtZDFmMS00YjhhLWIxNzItMTc5MTBkZTk1Y2Rm
Nano - https://docs.google.com/open?id 7N7ke9daCqIYzJmZTViZGItZTNmMi00N2RjLWI0YjctZjYyMDg5Y2ExYjFj
Desktop - https://docs.google.com/open?id 7N7ke9daCqIZjg0MDZkNTctM2YwZS00YmQxLWJlMDYtNGRlMmFhODhlNGY0
Mobile - https://docs.google.com/open?id 7N7ke9daCqIMjM1NzU5MzAtYzc3MS00NWJiLWExOTMtOTM0ODM3MDlkZWEz
Graphics/Charting -
https://docs.google.com/open?id 7N7ke9daCqIZmIzZTcyM2MtZjBjZC00OGFjLThmOTktODI4ODZhM2M5ZGU2
Tools - https://docs.google.com/open?id 7N7ke9daCqINjNiMjBiNTUtYzRlMS00NTUzLWIzNWEtMzA5Mzc5ZTA1NDI5
Serverside Integration -
https://docs.google.com/open?id 7N7ke9daCqINjg2NDJmNzktYmVhNC00ODJhLWJlZDUtZGEyYzAyMzFkMjRj

Also, here's the latest wireframe/content mockup of the new
demos.dojotoolkit.org site:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kAeFl0r5JxMRy7dVnCd0Sp_iENj-n3a-dWUYGWFMZII/edit

We are in the process of reorganizing demos that were under test
directories, cleaning them up and getting them checked into the demo
site. eta for this work is also dec 17th. If you can complete
additional demos and get them into the demos repo by that date it will
help with this effort.

Please respond to this note with any feedback, and I'll relay to the
design team.

Thanks,
Chris

Search Discussions

  • Ben hockey at Nov 30, 2011 at 8:35 pm
    one comment regarding the tools page... in the past, i've been
    enthusiastic about less.js but bug fixes and support have become very
    limited. at the time when we converted claro to use less there was no
    indication that there would be an issue with ongoing support for the
    library so i was very supportive of using less. recently, my personal
    experience has been that support for less has been subpar for ~6
    months or more and as such i'll be reluctant to use it in any new
    projects or recommend it to anyone. i don't want to sling mud on the
    project but at the same time i wanted to caution any endorsement or
    promotion of less.

    i'm not opposed to what's shown in the mockups but at the same time
    i'd also be happy to downplay less.js

    ben...
[...]

  • Colin Snover at Nov 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm
    What outstanding issues are there that you feel are critical that are
    not being addressed? I agree it feels like the LESS team (is there a
    team?) needs another person or two to be reviewing and landing pull
    requests but it seems that most of the fixes have been written, so the
    worst case here would be to fork it and land those fixes in our own
    repo. Is there any support we could provide to them to improve this
    situation?
[...]

    http://zetafleet.com
  • Ben hockey at Dec 1, 2011 at 10:08 am
    there is not a team - less.js is maintained by 1 person. it's been
    suggested that he should add a couple of people to help and there's even
    been talk of forking the project. so far, nothing has come of either of
    those suggestions.

    there's not any single particularly critical issue except that
    generally, issues are not being addressed (the exceptions are issues
    raised by twitter's bootstrap project). as of today, there are 286 open
    issues and 47 pull requests. some of those open pull requests might fix
    some bugs but you would think that even if the pull requests were for
    inappropriate features or were inadequate fixes, it would take just a
    few minutes to comment "no thanks" and close them. if you follow this
    thread you can see some of the frustration -
    https://github.com/cloudhead/less.js/issues/320#issuecomment-2682138.

    for me, i'd rather not deal with needing to nag and beg someone to look
    at an issue or maintaining a fork of a project to make it usable -
    although, this is what i've had to do with less at work. there's a long
    standing (over a year old) bug of not resolving relative urls properly.
    after seeing a number of inadequate pull requests trying to fix the
    problem (including some of my own), i decided to open a pull request
    that simply had a test case to demonstrate the problem -
    https://github.com/cloudhead/less.js/pull/331. that was almost 6 months
    ago and no response - not even to acknowledge that the bug exists or to
    say "the test is wrong - it should really be..."

    less is largely usable as it stands but due to this sparse support, i'm
    afraid to commit to it for anything that i need to keep working in the
    future. this is really the first project that has let me down like this
    and i've learned that ongoing support for a project needs to play a
    bigger role in what makes me excited about a project - it makes me
    appreciate how reliable dojo is for ongoing support. since alternatives
    to less exist, next time i'm breaking ground on a project i'll be trying
    an alternative - perhaps stylus, but that's beside the point of this
    conversation.

    the main thing keeping me from converting existing projects is that i'm
    able to customize claro using less(ever wondered what claro would look
    like in red http://www.pizzeriaorso.com/reservations/). if dijit moved
    from less to something else then i'd probably follow but dijit largely
    works with less so i don't feel justified in suggesting that any effort
    should be made to convert dijit to an alternative. perhaps by the time
    we need to make a commitment for dojo 2.0 there might be a clearly
    better alternative and we could consider switching at that time.

    ben...
[...]

  • Kenneth G. Franqueiro at Dec 1, 2011 at 11:04 pm
    I have to say, originally I was really not feeling the tabs but in the
    context of the new content it actually looks pretty nice.

    I think the documentation page currently as-is on staging can kind of
    illustrate my problem with the tabs:
    http://staging.dojotoolkit.org/documentation/ - essentially, they
    contrast rather sharply with the colors on the rest of the page.

    If we can do something to soften that impact one way or another that'd
    be good, though I'd also caution overusing the bright blue color - for
    instance, I find the same color applied to the "Get Dojo" image on
    http://dojotoolkit.org/blog/dojo-1-7-released marginally detracts from
    the readability of the button.

    Another thing I'm wondering - was the disappearance of the search bar
    intentional? I know it only went to google, and thus probably wasn't
    always the most effective thing for nearly every situation, but are
    there any plans for that eventually?

    Thanks,
    --Ken
[...]

  • Chris Mitchell at Dec 2, 2011 at 4:37 pm
    Sichao (our designer) has taken another pass on the new website
    design. Thanks for the feedback so far, here's the latest update:
    -Chris
    ===
    Hey Folks,

    I have updated the mockups based on some of the feedback during our
    last meeting,
    as well as some specific changes Chris has asked for. The new mockups
    have been uploaded as a presentation to google docs.

    https://docs.google.com/present/edit?id
    bN7ke9daCqIZGd4eG5jdGJfNWdoOTM0NWd0&hl=en_US

    Feel free to markup/callout directly in
    the presentation or use the speaker notes

    List of items I changed / updated:

    1. Updated design of home page rotating panels to include background texture.

    2. Updated design of home page rotator buttons (so they did not look
    the same as tabs in the feature pages)

    3.Updated Dojo Toolkit 1.7 summary write up as per Chris' request

    4. Updated design of home page rotating panels to include icons of
    supported pieces
    - added logos of supported mobile OS based on Chris' suggestion
    - added Tablet for Android
    - added BlackBerry to the images of devices

    5. Removed Download # and replaced with "Download Now!"

    6. Replaced All watermarked images with ones the same or similar ones
    we own in our library.

    7. Updated rendering of "AMD" image

    8. Removed Documentation Icon

    9. Updated the following on the Dojo Tools page (based on Chris' feedback)
    - Summary Write Up
    - Removed Theming Section
    - Moved Build Tools up to the top
    - Added Documentation links for Build Tools
    - Amalgamated Design and Development sections
    - Added screenshot from Maqetta.org

    10. Updated the Serverside page to have multi-colored headings

    Please let me know if you have any additional feedback,

    Thanks,
    Sichao

    On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Kenneth G. Franqueiro
[...]

  • Christophe Jolif at Dec 12, 2011 at 5:07 am
    Hi all,

    See below.