Maybe I don't understand the purpose of the docs, but it seems to me that
it would be really useful if each module on the docs page on Dojo Campus
automagically generated a link to the corresponding API page. I don't even
see a link on the docs page to the API tool. At the bare minimum, I would
hope to have a link at the very top with dojo cookies and the feature
explorer to the main API tool page. That way, people looking for
documentation on the new docs.dojocampus.org also see our existing code
documentation.

Does this make sense? Is it feasible to do this automatically, or at least
have some simple rest macro for this purpose, like the headers we copy in
right now? What do you all think?
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

Search Discussions

  • Peter E Higgins at Sep 5, 2008 at 11:38 am
    It is planned that docs.campus pages both grab links by tag from the
    cookies as "related articles", and has direct integration with the API
    information via rpc, so there will be no need to duplicate info. The
    links will be there.

    So yes, that's on the roadmap, though the pages need be created first.

    Mark Hays wrote:
    Maybe I don't understand the purpose of the docs, but it seems to me
    that it would be really useful if each module on the docs page on Dojo
    Campus automagically generated a link to the corresponding API page. I
    don't even see a link on the docs page to the API tool. At the bare
    minimum, I would hope to have a link at the very top with dojo cookies
    and the feature explorer to the main API tool page. That way, people
    looking for documentation on the new docs.dojocampus.org also see our
    existing code documentation.
    Does this make sense? Is it feasible to do this automatically, or at
    least have some simple rest macro for this purpose, like the headers
    we copy in right now? What do you all think?
  • Wolfram Kriesing at Sep 5, 2008 at 11:43 am
    There is some automagic API linking in some drawer, iirc. Right Nikolai/Tobias?
    But what I think is great is your idea about the cookies!
    Even that could be generated automatically, since most cookies
    are quite well tagged, and articles with tags such like "dojo.forEach"
    can be linked ... good idea!

    cu

    Wolfram

    Maybe I don't understand the purpose of the docs, but it seems to me that it
    would be really useful if each module on the docs page on Dojo Campus
    automagically generated a link to the corresponding API page. I don't even
    see a link on the docs page to the API tool. At the bare minimum, I would
    hope to have a link at the very top with dojo cookies and the feature
    explorer to the main API tool page. That way, people looking for
    documentation on the new docs.dojocampus.org also see our existing code
    documentation.

    Does this make sense? Is it feasible to do this automatically, or at least
    have some simple rest macro for this purpose, like the headers we copy in
    right now? What do you all think?
  • Nikolai Onken at Sep 5, 2008 at 12:31 pm
    Ho Mark,

    As Pete and Wolfram said, the API will be pulled in automatically, no
    need to automatically link to the pages, etc.
    We still have to decide on what exactly we want to retrieve from
    api.dtk.org (and what it can deliver) but that will happen.
    At the moment the primary focus lays on migrating the book and writing
    the content + examples.

    We can discuss how we can integrate cookies and the feature explorer
    (I already discussed this a little with Pete), it is possible, though
    we have to take it step by step.

    As you suggested this would be some sort of reST macro.

    Nikolai