Attached is a patch to cometd that contains a number of improvements:

+ dojox.cometd.init may be called as init(props,root,bindargs) or
init(root,props,bindargs) with props and bindargs being optional,
so init(root) works.

+ the reconnect message has been removed as per the discussion at the
face to face (spec update on it's way).

+ There are now dojox.cometd.startBatch and dojox.cometd.endBatch
methods so something like:
dojox.cometd.startBatch();
dojox.cometd.publish("/chat/demo1",{user:"Greg",text:"Greg has
left"});
dojox.cometd.unsubscribe("/chat/demo1",chat,"_chat");
dojox.cometd.subscribe("/chat/demo2",chat,"_chat");
dojox.cometd.publish("/chat/demo2",{user:"Greg",text:"Greg has
joined"});
dojox.cometd.endBatch();

will result in 1 round trip to the server instead of 4.

+ The local subscription mechanism (which was broken I think) has
been deprecated and is now ignored if it is passed.

I don't think this should be committed until I have updated the
spec document and got some feedback on it. But feedback
on the patch itself is appreciated. it will probably only work
with the latest java backend (unless others are also updating
after the face2face).

cheers