Hey Brad,

I just read a blog entry about using Derby as a local store in Firefox.
I've never heard of Derby before, and I'm out of my element here, but
I wanted to mention it to you in case it's relevant to the dojo.storage
stuff...

- Brian

----
Here's Ted Leung's blog post:
http://www.sauria.com/blog/2005/12/13#1440

Francois Orsini "showed how you could use Derby as a local store for
Firefox by talking to a copy of Derby via Firefox's ability to talk to
Java. His application was a simple tax app and he showed how you could
fill in a form, quit (or crash) the browser and have that data returned
to you when you restarted the web app.

"Adam Bosworth has previously written about the need for local
synchronizable storage for the web browser, and I know that the Mozilla
folks have been investigating embedding SQLite, for just these sort of
reasons. That effort is slated for Mozilla 1.5 or later. It seems to me
that what Francois has done is to make that capability available today.
I spent some time talking with Francois over lunch, and it turns out
that he also has some code that wraps Derby in a way that is AJAX
friendly, which means that AJAX applications can do similar tricks
without needing the use the embedded Java support.

"It's likely the Francois is going to start up a blog in the near
future, and he'll let us know how / where this code will be available."

Search Discussions

  • Brad Neuberg at Dec 14, 2005 at 1:39 am
    Thanks Brian! I hadn't heard about this; I'll look it over.

    Brad

    Brian Douglas Skinner wrote: Hey Brad,