Hey all,

Joyce raised a really great question via IM today:

What are we going to call this thing?

Definitions of "this thing" aside for the time being, if there were to
be a toolkit comming out of this effort, what should it be called? I
guess I don't care if each component get its own name and if that
gets decided later on, that's fine by me, but at least the effort
itself should have some way of identifying itself.

Given my legal troubles with Microsoft over the past couple of years,
I for one might recommend that we stay away from anything with the
word "windows" in it = )

So what say you? What's this thing going to be known as? I'll register
whatever domain the group chooses (availability permitting, of
course).

Regards

- --
Alex Russell
alex@burstlib.org BD10 7AFC 87F6 63F9 1691 83FA 9884 3A15 AFC9 61B7
alex@netWindows.org F687 1964 1EF6 453E 9BD0 5148 A15D 1D43 AB92 9A46

Search Discussions

  • Tom Trenka at Apr 28, 2004 at 5:37 pm
    That's a tough one.

    I spent far too much time trying to come up with a suitable name for f(m);
    in the end I resorted to one of my native NY collilquisms: f*cking magic.
    Of course, you can't release something that way, so it became f(m) :)

    I would suggest that we decide what it is we're really doing first, and keep
    ideas for a name in the back of our heads. If someone thinks they've got
    something great, post it.

    I'd also suggest that we make sure we split it up into a group of several
    technologies that are grouped together conceptually. In the same way that
    J2EE and the .NET Framework are really monikers for a related set of APIs.
    Because I can definitely see there being several pieces to whatever it is we
    are doing.