Greetings!

We are working on a draft of the coding standards for Cloud Foundry
contributions. I've published what we have so far as a google doc so that
we can start getting feedback.

You can find the current draft here: http://bit.ly/cfcodestds

The goal of these guidelines is to capture the essence of what we value in
code contributions without turning the document into a very long and
verbose list of language-specific coding standards.

We'd love to hear your opinion on this. Please comment either on this
thread or in comments on the google doc.

Many thanks!

Elisabeth Hendrickson
Cloud Foundry

  • Ben Hale at Nov 18, 2013 at 8:56 am
    Have you thought about putting together a RuboCop configuration that
    enforces the rules that you specify in the document? Specifically the
    statement "Write code in the idiomatic style of the language" is vague,
    especially for people new to Ruby. Adding a RuboCop configuration (and
    perhaps something like a pre-submit Rake task) to each repository seems
    like a good way for a contributor to ensure that they've met your
    submission requirements.

    -Ben Hale
    Cloud Foundry Java Experience

    We are working on a draft of the coding standards for Cloud Foundry
    contributions. I've published what we have so far as a google doc so that
    we can start getting feedback.

    You can find the current draft here: http://bit.ly/cfcodestds

    The goal of these guidelines is to capture the essence of what we value in
    code contributions without turning the document into a very long and
    verbose list of language-specific coding standards.

    We'd love to hear your opinion on this. Please comment either on this
    thread or in comments on the google doc.

    Many thanks!

    Elisabeth Hendrickson
    Cloud Foundry

  • David Laing at Nov 18, 2013 at 7:46 pm
    +10 for encoding the guidelines via tooling.
[...]

    an email to vcap-dev+unsubscribe@cloudfoundry.org.
  • Elisabeth Hendrickson at Nov 22, 2013 at 5:49 pm
    Thanks Ben! I'll look into it.

    Elisabeth

    You can find the current draft here: http://bit.ly/cfcodestds<http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2Fcfcodestds&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNGTngdz6bJQCLtPueUIyJhy9_xCiQ>

    The goal of these guidelines is to capture the essence of what we value
    in code contributions without turning the document into a very long and
    verbose list of language-specific coding standards.

    We'd love to hear your opinion on this. Please comment either on this
    thread or in comments on the google doc.

    Many thanks!

    Elisabeth Hendrickson
    Cloud Foundry

  • Michael Fraenkel at Nov 18, 2013 at 5:53 pm
    While this may seem basic, I didn't see any rules or guidelines on logging
    a message and/or when to emit to loggregator. I find the current code is
    somewhat inconsistent and I would hope that any contributions can only
    improve the situation.

  • Elisabeth Hendrickson at Nov 22, 2013 at 5:50 pm
    Thanks Michael! Good idea!
    While this may seem basic, I didn't see any rules or guidelines on logging
    a message and/or when to emit to loggregator. I find the current code is
    somewhat inconsistent and I would hope that any contributions can only
    improve the situation.
  • Elisabeth Hendrickson at Nov 22, 2013 at 5:50 pm
    Thanks everyone for your comments. Please keep them coming!

    Elisabeth