In an effort to better separate services from the core of CF, we're moving
all the provisionable CloudFoundry services out of the cf-release
repository. We've also combined the src and release repositories together
for services, so that we can more easily accept pull requests.

Certain jobs and packages, like postgres, will also stay in cf-release
(because a database is required to run CloudController and UAA), but
everything else has been moved into 1 of 2 locations:

    1. *cf-services-release *for services written by the core cloudfoundry
    team that are being actively maintained by Pivotal. These are services
    that we expect to be passing unit & integration tests, deployable, and
    provisionable. Currently this list includes *mysql, mysql-rds, *and *
    postgresql*. These services should (shortly) work out-of-the-box when
    you bootstrap a developer deployment on AWS, and likewise when support
    bootstrapping a developer deployment on other platforms (except the RDS
    service of course).
    2. *cf-services-contrib-release *for legacy and community-supported
    services. There are interesting and ambitious ideas in this repo, but we
    don't know if they work. We hope people use these services either directly
    or as examples for implementing future services. Maintaing this list can
    get tricky, so if you'd like to have push access to this repo, please let
    me, Kushmeric, or Dr. Nic know and we'll likely add you.

There are also related changes to the following repos:

    1. *vcap-services *is empty and deprecated. The source code for each
    service has been moved into the various *-release repos.
    2. *cf-services-contrib *is empty and deprecated. The source has been
    moved into cf-services-contrib-release.
    3. *cf-release *is much smaller, and only contains jobs and packages for
    the core/runtime of CF.

The intended workflow is that CF deployers should create a release +
deployment for CF Runtime out of *cf-release*, and optionally another
release + deployment for CF services out of cf-services-release. And then
perhaps an additional release & deployment for cf-services-contrib-release,
if desired. BOSH manifest authors can also make use of "compound releases"
to combine multiple releases in a single deployment, but we are no longer
supporting deploying Runtime + Services as a single release.

I think this change will promote logical separation of the services part of
CF and make it easier for people to work with services, and we'd love to
hear your feedback.

-David Stevenson
Director of Engineering, CF Services

Search Discussions

  • Dr Nic Williams at Jun 27, 2013 at 11:51 pm
    Thanks Dave et al.
    --
    Dr Nic Williams
    Stark & Wayne LLC - the consultancy for Cloud Foundry
[...]
  • Ruben Koster at Jun 28, 2013 at 9:51 am
    Thanks for the clear summary of the changes.

    What will be the workflow for *shared* *packages*?
    For example the ruby package is the same for cf-release,
    cf-services-release and cf-services-contrib-release.
    Other candidates are "common", "syslog_aggregator", "sqlite". There are
    probably more.

    I have done work on vblob, memcached and elasticsearch (not yet pushed)
    in https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/cf-services-contrib-release.
    Will merge those changes back in cf-services-contrib-release when I have my
    environment up and running again with these 3 releases.
    After this I think the cf-services repos in cloudfoundry-community can be
    removed.

[...]

    ------------------------------

    Have an innovative day

    *Innovation Factory *De Lairessestraat 180* *1075 HM Amsterdam* *+31
    20 7787008 www.innovationfactory.eu

    *
    Disclaimer*
    *The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
    material. Any use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
    delete the material from any computer. Innovation Factory does not accept
    liability for any errors, viruses or omissions in the contents of this
    message, which may arise as a result of e-mail transmission. No employee or
    agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of
    Innovation Factory with another party by email.*
  • David Stevenson at Jun 28, 2013 at 2:18 pm
    Ruben,

    We actually already have this for several releases we deploy for CF
    (cf-release, cf-services-release):
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/shared-release-packages

    So if want to wire up the contrib repo to also symlink against at least
    those shared packages, like cf-release does, please do.

[...]

  • Ruben Koster at Jun 28, 2013 at 2:27 pm
    Thanks missed that. But I still have one question.
    How are the blobs shared?

    On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 2:51 AM, <ruben....@innovationfactory.eu<javascript:>
[...]

  • David Stevenson at Jun 28, 2013 at 2:43 pm
    Good catch. I think we're going to have a different blobstore for -contrib
    repo, which means we'll have to copy the blobs over, darn.

    -David

    https://github.com/**cloudfoundry/shared-release-**packages<https://github.com/cloudfoundry/shared-release-packages>

    services-contrib-release<https://github.com/cloudfoundry-community/cf-services-contrib-release>
    .
[...]