Hi all,

I'm starting to look at Chef cookbooks to deploy the new DEA, and that got
me thinking.

IIUC the buildback-based staging will support custom buildpacks specified
by passing a URL, right?
If that's the case, then that's our opportunity for world domination!

Ideally, the CF community should be contributing patches to OSS projects so
that they can run on CF out of the box.
However that is time consuming, and there's no guarantee the maintainers
will even merge those changes.

A custom buildpack would allow us to patch software on the flight.

Take something like Redmine, a Ruby on Rails app.
Aside from binding to the DB service (that will probably work
automagically) all that is takes (probably) is to create a
configuration.yml file (similar to the example [1] in the repo) that uses
env variables.

If we do this, I imagine we could build a "directory" listing OSS projects
with their custom buildpacks.
That could do wonders for adoption of CF!

Thoughts?
Andrea

1:
https://github.com/redmine/redmine/blob/master/config/configuration.yml.example

Search Discussions

  • Manuel Garcia at Feb 18, 2013 at 1:55 pm
    +1000

    -----------
    Manuel García
[...]

  • Dr Nic Williams at Feb 18, 2013 at 2:25 pm
    This is a good idea.

    BTW, has anyone tried to patch an OSS project to run on CF and not had
    their patch accepted?

    Nic

    --
    Dr Nic Williams
    http://drnicwilliams.com

[...]

  • Andrea Campi at Feb 19, 2013 at 9:26 am
    I respectfully disagree :)

    I have yet to see a community grow and thrive based on planning ahead.
    If this effort is going to be based on voluntary work, I fully expect a lot
    of duplication, mistakes and cargo-culting. We have seen that in Ruby and
    Rails plugins a few years ago, and we still see that in a lot of PHP
    projects (no slight intended).

    Best practices are an emerging property; maybe the community will notice
    repeating patterns and start reducing duplications; maybe some
    highly-motivated, OC guy (no offense intended, I kind of fit the bill) will
    take it on himself to do this cleanup.

    But that can wait I think; if by that time we have a directory of hundreds
    of OSS projects, that will still be a success in my book.

[...]

  • David Laing at Feb 19, 2013 at 9:43 pm
    I'm with Andrea on this one.

    By far the hardest thing to encourage is to get people to make that first
    contribution. If we create the impression that you need to get permission
    / fit into the plan before someone startst, then they might never get going
    at all.

    A high level roadmap pointing the community in the same direction is good.

    Giving the impression that you need to wait and fit into the plan could be
    counter productive.

    Just my 3.08c <http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert/?Amount=0.02&From=GBP&To=USD>

    :D

    On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 6:25 AM, Dr Nic Williams <drnicwilliams@gmail.com
[...]

    Trading API @ City Index
    david@davidlaing.com
    http://davidlaing.com
    Twitter: @davidlaing
  • Dr Nic Williams at Feb 19, 2013 at 10:12 pm
    I'm sorry but we don't do currency jokes here :)

[...]

  • David Laing at Feb 19, 2013 at 11:11 pm
    http://xkcd.com/512/

[...]

  • Matt Reider at Feb 19, 2013 at 10:33 pm
    Your point is very well taken - things will emerge and grow organically,
    especially when people are donating their free time, and are interested in
    tinkering.

    I also think the nature of git, and github, provides the kind of ancestry I
    was pondering. A rails buildpack, tuned to support fat_free_cms, can easily
    merge changes from its parent, and vice-versa.

[...]

groupvcap-dev @
postedFeb 18, '13 at 11:27a
activeFeb 19, '13 at 11:11p