Folks,
I want to deploy a new service (e,g Cassandra) on my private Cloud Foundry
server. Is CHEF the right approach of installing new service on Cloud
Foundry? Does BOSH as a platform provide support installing new services on
Cloud Foundry server? I followed instructions as per the following link in
github to install echo service on Cloud Foundry server.

http://support.cloudfoundry.com/entries/20485171-how-to-add-a-system-service-to-oss-cloud-foundry-step-by-step-guide
I was able to successfully install and run echo service on my CF install
server. I am not still clear whether the install process listed in the
above link is using a CHEF echo cookbook in Cloud Foundry Server or using
some other process. Has BOSH moved away from CHEF for installation of new
service on Cloud Foundry? Can someone explain what is best approach for
adding new services on CF?

-Shashi

Search Discussions

  • Figo Jin Feng at Oct 23, 2012 at 10:04 pm
    Hi Shashi,

    It depends on how you setup your private CF server. If it's single node for
    dev purpose, then chef/dev_setup should be the right tool, and yes the
    support link you are following is telling people how to add a system
    service through chef/dev_setup. If you want to build a multi-nodes
    deployment with CF Bosh, which might be more complicated, then here's the
    guide how to build and deploy a newly added service to CF with Bosh:
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap-services-sample-release. Bosh docs
    fyi:
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/oss-docs/blob/master/bosh/documentation/documentation.md

    Thanks,
    Figo
[...]

  • Cornelia Davis at Oct 24, 2012 at 10:09 pm
    Great pointer Figo - thanks. Some follow-on questions:

    - The first link you give below describes adding the service to the
    cf-release and then deploying that release using BOSH. How would one go
    about adding a service to an already deployed cloud? I'm betting it is a
    matter of updating a bunch of packages/jobs, creating a new (version of)
    the release, uploading and deploying - but please confirm.
    - Or is there a different process for incrementally changing your CF
    deployment?

    Thanks,
    Cornelia
[...]

  • Figo Jin Feng at Oct 25, 2012 at 12:28 am
    Hi Cornelia,

    For adding a service to an already deployed cloud, yes you are right, you
    should add package(s) and job(s) for this particular service, upload
    binaries to blob store(if necessary), then create release, upload release,
    change the deployment manifest according, and deploy.

    Thanks,
    Figo
[...]

groupvcap-dev @
postedOct 23, '12 at 7:55p