I try to use mondodb 2.0 service in our Cloud Foundry environment, but
there are some issues.
I'd like to ask these issues.

First, in a previous commit, close_fds (close file descriptors) methods is
moved in mondodb_node.rb.
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap-services/commit/2a7833bf95480c273d281ad35cb45dbaaec17c55#L5R639

*Why is it been move and what is the purpose of this method?*

Second and this is an important issue, we want to use mongodb 2.0 in
Journal mode.
In mogodb 2.0, journal mode is default turned on,
but cloud foundry turns it off in this commit.
*https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap/commit/8e5d34e8184c360197f3bb20c933861193710b8a

*
*Why does it turn off?*
*
*
In our cloud foundry, one problem comes up when using journal mode.
Mondogb executes preallocate process during start up only when disk access
is fast.
This is caused by this code.
https://github.com/mongodb/mongo/blob/master/src/mongo/db/dur_journal.cpp#L385

As of cloud foundry, provision service fails because it takes too long time
to start up due to this preallocate process.
(During adding "admin" user, mongodb_node tries to add at 10 times(10sec),
but it takes more time to finish preallocate process
in our environment.)
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap-services/blob/master/mongodb/lib/mongodb_service/mongodb_node.rb#L696

I wil try to turn off preallocate process with "--noprealloc" option.
http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Command+Line+Parameters

*Is anyone try to use this option?*

Takayoshi Tanaka
tanaka.takayoshi@gmail.com

Search Discussions

  • Nicholas Kushmerick at Sep 4, 2012 at 3:02 pm
    we disabled journaling in Mongo due to concerns about disk space. But we
    are resolving these issues and we definitely plan to enable journaling.

    regarding the timeout issue -- you can increase the timeout:
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap/blob/master/dev_setup/cookbooks/mongodb/attributes/default.rb#L49

    --
    Nick
    phone +1.206.293.5186 *·* skype nicholaskushmerick
[...]

  • Nicholas Kushmerick at Oct 2, 2012 at 10:32 pm
    Take a look here:
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap/blob/master/dev_setup/cookbooks/mongodb/attributes/default.rb#L9-10

    vmc today only shows you the 'current' version. (future versions of vmc
    will show you all versions and allow you to select the one you want.)

    so, change 2.0 to 'current'; also change 1.8 to a different alias; the
    convention is 'deprecated' but that alias is not "magic" like current.

    2a7833bf95480c273d281ad35cb45d**baaec17c55#L5R639<https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap-services/commit/2a7833bf95480c273d281ad35cb45dbaaec17c55#L5R639>

    db/dur_journal.cpp#L385<https://github.com/mongodb/mongo/blob/master/src/mongo/db/dur_journal.cpp#L385>

    As of cloud foundry, provision service fails because it takes too long
    time to start up due to this preallocate process.
    (During adding "admin" user, mongodb_node tries to add at 10
    times(10sec), but it takes more time to finish preallocate process
    in our environment.)
    https://github.com/**cloudfoundry/vcap-services/**
    blob/master/mongodb/lib/**mongodb_service/mongodb_node.**rb#L696<https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap-services/blob/master/mongodb/lib/mongodb_service/mongodb_node.rb#L696>

    I wil try to turn off preallocate process with "--noprealloc" option.
    http://www.mongodb.org/**display/DOCS/Command+Line+**Parameters<http://www.mongodb.org/display/DOCS/Command+Line+Parameters>

    *Is anyone try to use this option?*

    Takayoshi Tanaka
    tanaka.takayoshi@gmail.com

    --
    Nick
    phone +1.206.293.5186 *·* skype nicholaskushmerick
  • Lou Sacco at Oct 2, 2012 at 10:57 pm
    Ok, thanks, but I was able to do this by changing the mongodb_node.yml
    under my deployment's config directory. After restarting 2.0 showed but
    also 1.8 is listed too. It looks like "vmc create-service mongodb" results
    in the 2.0 version being created. I'll look forward to future version where
    both can be used.

    What if I wanted to use version MongoDB 2.2? Is there a good way to clone
    2.0 and update the binaries to use 2.2?
  • Nicholas Kushmerick at Oct 10, 2012 at 7:43 pm
    basically yes: if you grep for '1.8' and '2.0' you'll see what is required
    to add a new version. so you should be able to cut/paste to add 2.2.

    BUT, note that there's no guarantee that 2.2 will actually work. CF's
    mongodb_node code uses the mongo apis to create credentials, prepare
    mongo's config file, start mongod processes, etc. and it is possible that
    2.2 has some changes that are incompatible with the CF mongodb_node code.
    The CF team plans to verify and fix any issues at some point. In the
    meantine, we would welcome your sumission to reviews.cloudfoundry.org.

    thanks

    -- Nick

    What if I wanted to use version MongoDB 2.2? Is there a good way to clone
    2.0 and update the binaries to use 2.2?
  • Bauchiroad at Dec 11, 2012 at 1:19 am
    Nicholas, I was wondering if you knew if a github branch for dev-setup,
    exists for cloudfoundary next-generation or V2.

    I am asking because from this commit, I can see that mongodb was bumped to
    version 2.20 for cloudfoundary V2 normal install.

    CloudFoundry (ng or next generation or v2)
    Merge "fix mongodb unit test for new bind_mount scheme"
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap-services/commit/421b082c963ec8c17fa17f642c32bb73ec99b5c3
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap-services/blob/master/ng/mongodb/config/mongodb_node.yml

    Many thanks.
    basically yes: if you grep for '1.8' and '2.0' you'll see what is required
    to add a new version. so you should be able to cut/paste to add 2.2.
    BUT, note that there's no guarantee that 2.2 will actually work. CF's
    mongodb_node code uses the mongo apis to create credentials, prepare
    mongo's config file, start mongod processes, etc. and it is possible that
    2.2 has some changes that are incompatible with the CF mongodb_node code.
    The CF team plans to verify and fix any issues at some point. In the
    meantine, we would welcome your sumission to reviews.cloudfoundry.org.

    thanks

    -- Nick

    What if I wanted to use version MongoDB 2.2? Is there a good way to clone
    2.0 and update the binaries to use 2.2?

groupvcap-dev @
postedSep 3, '12 at 1:13p
activeDec 11, '12 at 1:19a