During the exploration in CloudFoundry for days. I need to say it's really
remarkable for it's application life-cycle management and magical way to
deploy apps.

But on the other hand , the service function in CF seems a little weaker
when compared with its app support. For example, much less configuration
than local use, no cluster support and performance consideration, and I'm
even worrying about someday my MySQL node will block in high concurrent
request because I can not find an enterprise-way to use MySQL of CF here
(no original configuration can be use ).

CF is using "provision" and "create" mechanism in its service echo-system,
which exposes a easy way to add my own service here. But besides that, the
way the existing services are working feels just like some kind of "DEMO".

"You can add whatever service you need!" Is this the only method if I
need to use some "advanced" MySQL function just like what I do to support
my B2C website?
Or, CF is actually doing something further , in order to provide more
freedom for high level developers?

Looking forward to some tendency of services in CF.

Search Discussions

  • Jeremy Voorhis at Jul 26, 2012 at 6:48 am
    Service management is less mature than support for application lifecycle management, but if you dig in, you'll find that it is improving. Service data import/export and backups are currently usable. User-accessible configuration and cluster management, however, are currently missing and I hope to see these addressed. If you deploy CF yourself, I know from experience that it's possible to create replica nodes and failover with a little ingenuity.

    Jeremy Voorhis
    Sr Engineer - appfog.com (http://appfog.com)
    @jvoorhis
    +1 503.319.0075

[...]

  • Jesse Zhang at Jul 26, 2012 at 7:28 am
    Hi Lei,
    Thank you for your interest in Cloud Foundry!
    Please be more specific about which advanced feature you are missing and
    what configurability you wish to see in Cloud Foundry.

    Jesse
[...]

  • 磊张 at Jul 26, 2012 at 7:55 am
    Just as Jeremy Voorhis said above, I'm hoping for some kind of "User-accessible
    configuration and cluster management" for services.

    For example, in my local dev-environment, master-slave MySQL pattern is
    very common, but I can not find a way to achieve that in CF. It seems
    there's no normal configuration files for services in CF, right?
    Further more, cluster is a good choice no matter for MySQL and RabitMQ,
    but I found it's hard to make a cluster in CF without adding my own system
    service to CF.
    Performance configuration is also missing here although we all know
    Database and mbus will always be bottle-neck in my apps.

    Service nodes in CF seems so "separately" in CF,and lack of some way to
    make my database (or mbus) works in a "production way". For example. I can
    connect three or more MySQL nodes (or RabbitMQ nodes) together to serve one
    app in case of too many CRUD operations here.

    Without a powerful service support, I can not build a real private cloud
    and let "enough users" to visit my app. This is what I'm concerning about.

    在 2012年7月26日星期四UTC+8下午3时28分36秒,Jesse Zhang写道:
[...]

  • Ben Langfeld at Jul 26, 2012 at 8:28 am
    As far as I am aware, you can setup your MySQL nodes however you like. You
    have the normal MySQL configuration available to you. The service is simply
    a provisioning layer on top of that.

    Regards,
    Ben Langfeld

[...]

  • Andrea Campi at Jul 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

    As far as I am aware, you can setup your MySQL nodes however you like. You have the normal MySQL configuration available to you. The service is simply a provisioning layer on top of that.
    In addition to that, you can simply use the service broker to manage connections to a separate cluster of MySQL (or anything) servers, if that's the way you roll.

    Andrea
    Regards,
    Ben Langfeld

[...]

  • 磊张 at Jul 26, 2012 at 10:59 am
    Yeah, that's really a way out . My team are hacking with service_broker
    actually.

    在 2012年7月26日星期四UTC+8下午4时39分01秒,Andrea Campi写道:

[...]

  • Ben Langfeld at Jul 26, 2012 at 11:05 am
    What exactly are you asking for, then, if it's not clustered MySQL?

    Regards,
    Ben Langfeld

[...]

  • 磊张 at Jul 26, 2012 at 9:01 am
    That's some way to add my own service, right? Just like what I'm doing by
    following
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/oss-docs/tree/master/vcap/adding_a_system_service
    ?

    What I mean here is some out-of-box "advance" services. I really hope they
    are in TODO list.

    在 2012年7月26日星期四UTC+8下午4时28分50秒,Ben Langfeld写道:
[...]

  • Ben Langfeld at Jul 26, 2012 at 9:11 am
    I don't think you understood my point. You're asking about presenting a
    MySQL cluster as a CF service. You can do that today using the existing
    MySQL service, without having to write anything.

    Regards,
    Ben Langfeld

[...]

  • 磊张 at Jul 26, 2012 at 11:06 am
    Could you please give me some guidance here? My team has once studied on
    MySQL and RabbitMQ cluster by using the existing service. We tried
    Spring-based multi-datasource, which seems not a good solution. How to
    achieve a cluster"without having to write anything"?

    在 2012年7月26日星期四UTC+8下午5时11分35秒,Ben Langfeld写道:
[...]

  • Ben Langfeld at Jul 26, 2012 at 11:11 am
    How would you deploy it if you took CF out of the picture?

    Regards,
    Ben Langfeld

    master/vcap/adding_a_system_**service<https://github.com/cloudfoundry/oss-docs/tree/master/vcap/adding_a_system_service>?

[...]

  • 磊张 at Jul 26, 2012 at 11:35 am
    What do you mean by "out of the picture"? I don't find any place I have
    this meaning....

    在 2012年7月26日星期四UTC+8下午7时11分18秒,Ben Langfeld写道:
[...]

  • 磊张 at Jul 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm
    Actually, my question is very simple.

    Is there any plan for "more-configuration" service in CF team?(Both mysql
    rabbitmq etc)

    What's the next plan for services eco-system? Any time line or on going.

    I don't think service_broker or adding my own "cluster service" is a real
    "PaaS" way: it makes developers have no option. It's not "Platform as
    Sevice".

    One example is to provide recipes to developer like:

    applications:
    name: sample_env
    bind service:
    type: mysql
    instances: 2
    master: [ mysql-my_0 ]
    slave: [ mysql-my-1,mysql-my-2 ]
    sys_time: 1(second)

    And, we can even make developesr to scale service instances like this: vmc
    service-intances +2

    Maybe we can start by muiti-instance service (Some PaaS has achieved this,
    as far as I know). That's the PaaS way!

[...]

  • Alexis Richardson at Jul 26, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    The best people to answer this are on the west coast and will be up in
    a few hours...

    It's certainly a desirable feature. But bear in mind that no matter
    what is 'bundled', there will always be *some* external services
    accessed via the gateway like Andrea pointed out.

[...]

  • 磊张 at Jul 26, 2012 at 12:42 pm
    Thank you for your explaination.

    In my mind, service_broker is more useful for this case:
    *
    The developer or user has a database or external system which *They do not
    want to put it on your cloud*. *Maybe they have sensitive data, or it's a
    too complicated system.

    But it's not suitable for support a more "powerful" service--which is more
    on desire...

    在 2012年7月26日星期四UTC+8下午8时29分19秒,Alexis Richardson写道:
[...]

  • Andrew Liu at Jul 26, 2012 at 3:05 pm
    The method you suggest to create a mysql master-slave setup require decent
    knowledge of the services and we want to implement this in a simple way. Our
    approach is one service can support multiple plans which fit for different
    requirements. For example, mysql may support two different plans:
    'free' plan has small storage quota and master only setup.
    'silver' plan has larger storage quota and master-slave setup.

    User who need a master-slave setup mysql can create it using `vmc
    create-service mysql --plan=silver` without worry about the detail
    configuration such as specify the master and slave instance name.

    BTW, We're in the design phrase of a generic cluster node support which you
    can participate:
    https://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/d/topic/vcap-dev/wt_wVbh-BwQ/discussion

    Regards,
    Andrew
[...]

  • 磊张 at Jul 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm
    That's really what I'm hoping for. Thank you very much for your reply,
    I'll keep my eye on this plan ( which looks really great). Thanks a lot.

    在 2012年7月26日星期四UTC+8下午11时05分40秒,Andrew Liu写道:

groupvcap-dev @
postedJul 26, '12 at 6:33a
activeJul 26, '12 at 3:11p