I have read that one apache instance is started per application instance in
CF. https://github.com/cloudfoundry/vcap/blob/master/docs/php.md

Are there any efforts to optimize this, shared hosting style (single Apache
instance handling a number of instances)?

Regards
Nikola Veber

Search Discussions

  • Jeremy Voorhis at Jul 16, 2012 at 3:53 pm
    Hi Nikola,

    We've done exactly that at AppFog. We haven't released the repo at this time, but what we have implemented is a custom DEA agent. It uses a filter to only accept PHP apps, and automates a2ensite / a2dissite instead of deferring to the usual start/stop scripts. We also used the mpm-itk module to support the VCAP secure users pool.

    For a variety of reasons, we weren't completely satisfied with the results, and are interested in lowering the overhead of individual PHP app servers. This makes it easier to support app monitoring, and allows us to transition to Warden as it becomes available.

    Best,

    Jeremy Voorhis
    Sr Engineer - appfog.com (http://appfog.com)
    @jvoorhis
    +1 503.319.0075

    Are there any efforts to optimize this, shared hosting style (single Apache instance handling a number of instances)?

    Regards
    Nikola Veber
  • Nikola Veber at Jul 17, 2012 at 7:25 am
    Hi Jeremy,

    thanks!

    Have you tried NginX + PHP-FPM, with a PHP_FPM process for every user? I
    was going to look into this option, but I have some personal scheduling
    issues at the moment :(

    Cheers
[...]

  • Jeremy Voorhis at Jul 17, 2012 at 7:57 am
    One of the real issues I've seen is that it's a chore to make Wordpress and Drupal behave for the common user with Nginx+(fpm|fcgi). Customers want to deploy their own .htaccess file. I have no doubt that Nginx with some worker process model could serve more requests per second, but our purpose in choosing Apache2 is that it has a large installed base and plenty of tribal knowledge.

    That said, I see no reason to support both!

[...]

    Or not to support both, as I intended to say :)