Hi Jawaid,

Added the google group for OS support for Cloud Foundry. You can send
questions directly to this group.

Miki
On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Jawaid Ekram wrote:

Miki:****

** **

We would like to understand how network throttling has been implemented on
CloudFoundry.com. Could you please forward this request to your
Cloudfoundry.com service team.****

** **

In a multi-tenant environment our concern with network throttling is
twofold:****

** **

**1) **One user can use up all the network traffic and impact other
user’s response time ****

**2) **Most of the data center providers charge a flat fee for base
traffic and a variable fee for bandwidth above the base level. Without some
form of network throttling the bandwidth cost becomes unmanageable. ****

** **

I posted this question on cloudfoundry.org and the response was that
there is nothing in CF that would throttle network traffic.****

** **

http://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/group/vcap-dev/browse_thread/thread/ee4bd9898ae52106#<http://groups.google.com/a/cloudfoundry.org/group/vcap-dev/browse_thread/thread/ee4bd9898ae52106>
****

** **

We know how to do network throttling in Windows, but are still looking for
an answer in Linux.****

** **

Can you please share how network throttling has been implemented on
cloudfoundry.com?****

** **

Thanks****

** **

Jawaid Ekram****

Uhuru Software****

** **

** **

--
Miki Yarkoni
404-245-6960

Search Discussions

  • Chunjie Zhu at Jun 19, 2012 at 11:42 am
    -> “ We know how to do network throttling in Windows, but are still looking for an answer in Linux. ”

    Generally speaking, there are some existing solutions to achieve network throttling goal at 2nd layer (link/switch layer) or 3rd layer (ip/route layer). At the 2nd layer, there is one open source bridge/switch solution for Linux, Open VSwitch, can set rate limit and Qos for each link. At the 3rd layer, Linux provides policy routing (see "route realm") in conjunction with queue discipline (see "tc qdisc") to set rate limit and Qos for each routing path.

    For CloudFoundry, it does not make sense to do throttling at the 2nd or 3rd layer, it must be realized at the application layer. One component in CloudFoundry, healthmanager, is responsible to collect application's metrics (io/cpu/memory) which in turn accelerates the BI process. The metrics exchange between healthmanager and dea (application runtime container) is based on NATS (please see https://github.com/derekcollison/nats), healthmanager subscribes the metrics event, each dea will publish metrics event periodically to get healthmanager notified.

    Regards ,
    Chunjie

[...]

groupvcap-dev @
postedJun 18, '12 at 1:14p
activeJun 19, '12 at 11:42a

Miki Yarkoni: 1 post Chunjie Zhu: 1 post