Hello.

I am trying to deploy CloudFoundry release with the BOSH.

I enter the command:
$ bosh deploy
Error 50003: Stemcell `bosh-stemcell/0.4.4' doesn't exist

Then I trying to upload stemcell:
I enter the command:
$ bosh upload stemcell bosh-stemcell-0.4.4.tgz
Error 100: Timed out reading instance metadata, please make sure CPI
is running on EC2 instance

I Use sample config without changes:
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/oss-docs/blob/master/bosh/samples/cloudfoundry.yml

Questions:
1. Where BOSH tries to upload the stemcell? How can I configure this
destination?
2. If I deploy something in Amazon Cloud, BOSH Director (bosh target
my-director-ip:25555) must be in the same AmazonCloud? Why?

Log of commands hereinafter.

Thanks!

<code>
ruslan@r0 cf-release$ bosh status
Updating director data... done
Target myfirstbosh (http://10.1.110.98:25555) Ver: 0.5.1
(ff03f8be)
UUID d502e786-82ef-4252-b845-999ed3cb4a15
User admin
Deployment /home/ruslan/cloudfoundry.yml

You are in release directory
----------------------------
Dev name: cloudfoundry
Dev version: 84.3-dev
Final name: appcloud
Final version: 84

Packages
+---------------------------+----------+----------+
Name | Dev | Final |
+---------------------------+----------+----------+
vblob | n/a | 2 |

I type command: bosh deploy
and got Error 50003: Stemcell `bosh-stemcell/0.4.4' doesn't exist

$ bosh deploy
Getting deployment properties from director...
Compiling deployment manifest...
Please review all changes carefully
Deploying `cloudfoundry.yml' to `myfirstbosh' (type 'yes' to
continue): yes
Director task 29
Preparing deployment
binding deployment
(00:00:00)
binding releases
(00:00:00)
binding existing deployment
(00:00:00)
binding resource pools
(00:00:00)
binding stemcells: Stemcell `bosh-stemcell/0.4.4' doesn't exist
(00:00:00)
Error 5/8
00:00:00
Error 50003: Stemcell `bosh-stemcell/0.4.4' doesn't exist
Task 29 error

Then I try upload public stemcell:

$ bosh upload stemcell bosh-stemcell-0.4.4.tgz

Verifying stemcell...
File exists and readable OK
Using cached manifest...
Stemcell properties OK

Stemcell info
-------------
Name: bosh-stemcell
Version: 0.4.4

Checking if stemcell already exists...
No

Uploading stemcell...
bosh-stemcell: 100% |
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo|
269.7MB 51.9MB/s Time: 00:00:05
Director task 30
Update stemcell
extracting stemcell archive
(00:00:02)
verifying stemcell manifest
(00:00:00)
checking if this stemcell already exists
(00:00:00)
uploading stemcell bosh-stemcell/0.4.4 to the cloud: Timed out
reading instance metadata, please make sure CPI is running on EC2
instance (00:00:05)
Error 4/5
00:00:07
Error 100: Timed out reading instance metadata, please make sure CPI
is running on EC2 instance
Task 30 error
</code>

--
Best regards,
Ruslan Karachun

Search Discussions

  • Martin Englund at Jul 16, 2012 at 6:46 pm
    Hi Ruslan!

    See answer below...
    Error 50003: Stemcell `bosh-stemcell/0.4.4' doesn't exist

    Then I trying to upload stemcell:
    I enter the command:
    $ bosh upload stemcell bosh-stemcell-0.4.4.tgz
    Error 100: Timed out reading instance metadata, please make sure CPI
    is running on EC2 instance

    I Use sample config without changes:
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/oss-docs/blob/master/bosh/samples/cloudfoundry.yml

    Questions:
    1. Where BOSH tries to upload the stemcell? How can I configure this
    destination?
    The stemcell is first uploaded to the director which unpacks it and
    then writes the disk image to an AWS EBS so it can create an AMI of
    the stemcell.
    2. If I deploy something in Amazon Cloud, BOSH Director (bosh target
    my-director-ip:25555) must be in the same AmazonCloud? Why?
    It must be in the same region due to the restrictions AWS places on
    AMIs. We are looking to solve this problem...

    cheers,
    /Martin
    --
    Martin Englund, Staff Engineer, Cloud Foundry, VMware Inc.
    "The question is not if you are paranoid, it is if you are paranoid enough."
[...]

groupbosh-users @
postedJul 12, '12 at 11:50a
activeJul 17, '12 at 6:51a

Ruslan K: 2 posts Martin Englund: 1 post