Hey all,

As a bit of a side-project, I've been working on a BOSH release repository
where the community can share, vote, comment on, etc. BOSH releases. You
can check it out here:

http://boshdb.cloudfoundry.com/

Please keep in mind, when this goes live, user accounts and releases will
likely (actually, more than likely) be wiped.

I wanted to get this out in the community so that you guys can kick the
tires and toss in some suggestions as to how to improve it. I will say
there's one "issue" I'm working through now that I'd like to hear input on,
and it's how Vadim created the Cloud Foundry release, there was no download
URL, just a source URL. I have these separate since I figured releases
could easily be hosted in GitHub, link to that as the Source URL, and then
create tags that would be the Download URLs for each version created in
BOSHDB. The redis-on-demand release is a good example of this.

I looked to the Opscode community as a model when designing this solution
as a first shot, and feel it's a fairly decent fit right now. If I can find
decent hosting to store the actual tarballs to download for each version of
a release, which opens up quite a bit more opportunities.

So let me know what you think, like it, hate it, what you'd change, add,
remove. I'm very interested in hearing what the BOSH community thinks :)

- Brian McClain
@brianmmcclain

Search Discussions

  • Brian McClain at Jul 14, 2012 at 5:53 pm
    For anyone interested, I did implement somewhat of a fix.

    I sort of envisioned that releases would be hosted on GitHub, simply for
    the fact that I can't afford that amount of hosting if more than a couple
    people find this service useful. Download URLs, in my mind, would be links
    to tarball downloads of tags.

    Going off this, if a release is added to BOSHDB without a download URL, it
    will do it's best to determine a download URL for a tarball (Using the
    GitHub APIs if the source URL is hosted on GitHub, same for BitBucket, etc)
    before finally giving up.

    Thoughts? Opinions?

    - Brian
    @brianmmcclain
[...]