When booting a micro bosh, why do we pass the stemcell into the CLI argument rather than include it in the micro_bosh.yml?

E.g. why is it:

$ bosh micro deploy ami-0743ef6e

Rather than:

$ bosh micro deploy

with the following micro_bosh.yml

cloud:
properties:
stemcell:
image: ami-0743ef6e
kernel_id: aki-b4aa75dd
root_device_name: /dev/sda1

Nic

Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism

The Leading Platform as a Service

Mobile: 415 860 2185

Skype: nicwilliams

Twitter: @drnic

Search Discussions

  • Martin Englund at Jul 6, 2012 at 5:55 pm
    Excellent point! I asked Doug why but he claimed that he has purged that
    info for storing go-syntax instead ;)

    Feel free to submit the code that lets you specify it in micro_bosh.yml
    (but retains the current functinality too)

    Cheers,
    /Martin

    On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Dr Nic Williams
    When booting a micro bosh, why do we pass the stemcell into the CLI
    argument rather than include it in the micro_bosh.yml?

    E.g. why is it:

    $ bosh micro deploy ami-0743ef6e

    Rather than:

    $ bosh micro deploy

    with the following micro_bosh.yml

    cloud:
    properties:
    stemcell:
    image: ami-0743ef6e
    kernel_id: aki-b4aa75dd
    root_device_name: /dev/sda1

    Nic

    ------------------------------

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism

    [image: Engine Yard]

    --
    Martin Englund, Staff Engineer, Cloud Foundry, VMware Inc.
    "The question is not if you are paranoid, it is if you are paranoid enough."

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
    Engine Yard
    The Leading Platform as a Service
    Mobile: +1 415 860 2185
    Skype: nicwilliams
    Twitter: @drnic

[...]

    Mobile: 415 860 2185 (tel:415%20860%202185)

    Skype: nicwilliams

    Twitter: @drnic

    -- Martin Englund, Staff Engineer, Cloud Foundry, VMware Inc.
    "The question is not if you are paranoid, it is if you are paranoid enough."
  • Ferdy at Jul 6, 2012 at 9:52 pm
    You can gleefully refer to this as "Build the plane while flying it<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2zqTYgcpfg>"
    ;)

    - Ferdy

    On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Dr Nic Williams <nwilliams@engineyard.com
[...]

  • Dr Nic Williams at Jul 9, 2012 at 4:02 pm
    Proposal:

    1. Allow "bosh micro deploy" (without a stemcell_tgz/image_id argument) if
    cloud.properties.stemcell.image_id is set.

    2. Continue to allow "bosh micro deploy <stemcell_tgz>" as the current
    two-step process for i) converting stemcell into a private AMI; ii) doing a
    deploy as per 1. above

    3. Continue to allow "bosh micro deploy <image_id>" for backwards
    compatibility; which acts as 1. above.

    Nic
  • Martin Englund at Jul 9, 2012 at 5:53 pm
    That sounds good to me! Can you create a JIRA ticket for it so we can track it?

    Cheers,
    /Martin
    1. Allow "bosh micro deploy" (without a stemcell_tgz/image_id argument) if
    cloud.properties.stemcell.image_id is set.

    2. Continue to allow "bosh micro deploy <stemcell_tgz>" as the current
    two-step process for i) converting stemcell into a private AMI; ii) doing a
    deploy as per 1. above

    3. Continue to allow "bosh micro deploy <image_id>" for backwards
    compatibility; which acts as 1. above.

    Nic

    --
    cheers,
    /Martin
    --
    Martin Englund, Staff Engineer, Cloud Foundry, VMware Inc.
    "The question is not if you are paranoid, it is if you are paranoid enough."
  • Dr Nic Williams at Jul 9, 2012 at 5:55 pm
    Yes.

[...]

  • Dr Nic Williams at Jul 9, 2012 at 6:06 pm
    https://cloudfoundry.atlassian.net/browse/CF-72

[...]

groupbosh-users @
postedJul 6, '12 at 5:28p
activeJul 9, '12 at 6:06p