Hi all-

Gratuitous solicitation for community contributions here!

I jumped on Dr. Nic's original BOSH issue (
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/issues/237), as it looked like
low-hanging fruit that I could grab and fit with one of my overall
community support goals, which is to improve the quality and depth of our
BOSH documentation. After a couple of days of yak shaving, here is the
resulting PR: https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/pull/252

This PR documents how to run the Director (albeit disconnected from its
environment) locally and bootstraps the toolchain for generating Swagger UI
documentation.

What we need now is for folks to help fill out the source annotations on
the Director. I've gotten them started, but I don't know the internals
enough yet to get everything filled out in detail like we want.

If anyone would like to volunteer to take different sections of the API
(e.g. deployments, users, etc.), respond to this thread. That way we don't
duplicate effort.

For more details on how the annotations work (the "grammar" at the bottom
is especially useful), see:
https://github.com/solso/source2swagger/blob/master/README.md

For the Swagger schema itself: https://github.com/wordnik/swagger-core/wiki

Thanks!

--
Matt Stine | Community Engineer, Cloud Foundry | Pivotal
901-493-5546 | mstine@gopivotal.com

goPivotal.com

Search Discussions

  • Dr Nic Williams at Jun 6, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    Great job Matt.

    Bosh has a pretty huge API footprint (run "bosh help --all" to get a feel for it). Can the PR get merged "as is" and then everyone who has ever used bosh can finally contribute to bosh in a fun way: create a PR for one or more API methods.

    ​This is a great way to get your first bosh commit bit!

    Nic

    --
    Dr Nic Williams
    Stark & Wayne LLC - the consultancy for Cloud Foundry
[...]
  • Matt Stine at Jun 6, 2013 at 3:47 pm
    Nic-

    Good point, and what I wanted to have happen anyway. Yet I didn't make that
    explicit in the email. Thanks for clearing that up. :-)

    So all: let's wait until the PR gets merged (I'm thinking that should be
    fairly soon), then everyone fork master away and submit their favorite API
    method documentation!

[...]

  • Dr Nic Williams at Jun 6, 2013 at 3:59 pm
    Bonus points if you also document the matching bosh_cli/lib/director.rb client lib method :D
    --
[...]

groupbosh-dev @
postedJun 6, '13 at 3:27p
activeJun 6, '13 at 3:59p

Matt Stine: 2 posts Dr Nic Williams: 2 posts