Does anyone know why we use runit to run/monitor the bosh_agent, but use
monit to run/monitor the jobs from a bosh release?

If monit is good enough for a bosh deployment; why not use a system package
of monit to run bosh_agent?

If runit is better, why monit for bosh deployments?

Nic

--
Dr Nic Williams
http://drnicwilliams.com

Search Discussions

  • Matthew Kocher at May 27, 2013 at 4:13 am
    I don't know the history, but personally I'm a DJB fanboy and prefer
    runit/daemontools.

    The traditional argument against is that runit can't supervise processes
    that fork and run in the background. There are hacks to get around this,
    but they're all hacks.

    Does anyone know why we use runit to run/monitor the bosh_agent, but use
    monit to run/monitor the jobs from a bosh release?

    If monit is good enough for a bosh deployment; why not use a system
    package of monit to run bosh_agent?

    If runit is better, why monit for bosh deployments?

    Nic

    --
    Dr Nic Williams
    http://drnicwilliams.com
    http://starkandwayne.com
    cell +1 (415) 860-2185
    twitter @drnic

groupbosh-dev @
postedMay 27, '13 at 3:53a
activeMay 27, '13 at 4:13a

Dr Nic Williams: 1 post Matthew Kocher: 1 post