I'm thinking of rewriting bosh-bootstrap. As much as I love the UI of
running the command from a laptop, creating an inception vm, preparing the
vm, and then commanding that VM to do stuff - the code is very awkward, the
passing of data back and forward is awkward, and it doesn't easily
accomodate the new bosh_aws_bootstrap (now called
https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/tree/master/bosh_cli_plugin_aws) ideas.

Also, many bosh/cf users who do not want to do development will not need
inception VMs in future. Personally I'd like it to be easy for them to get
an inception VM running so they _can_ do development; but its an extra
expense that new people don't care for (I imagine).

So, I was thinking about a bosh-inception tool to boot and/or prepare a VM
to be an inception VM.

Do the pivotal core team already have chef recipes and/or a similar tool? I
know pivotal has some workstation preparation tool - is this what's being
used for bosh/cf development?

Nic

--
Dr Nic Williams
http://drnicwilliams.com

Search Discussions

  • Ruben Koster at Apr 17, 2013 at 10:14 am
    When thinking about the ecosystem I see two different use cases:

    1. A way to install the tools you need to bootstrap your bosh/cf on your
    local machine. Could be
    using https://github.com/mitchellh/vagrant-installers.
    2. A vagrant box or some other image which includes the stuff you need
    to develop your own bosh release. Could for instance
    include https://github.com/nttlabs/nise_bosh.

    Other usecases there are for an inception vm are more work around for
    things bosh does not can do itself.
    Like for uploading releases. (would be more practical if bosh downloaded it
    directly) somewhat related to
    https://github.com/StarkAndWayne/cf-release-only
    Also the uploading of and downloading of stemcells would be better handled
    by other components.
    For example for openstack these stemcells could be directly downloaded to
    the image-service (glance) by using glance image-create --copy-from
[...]

    ------------------------------

    Have an innovative day

    *Innovation Factory *De Lairessestraat 180* *1075 HM Amsterdam* *+31
    20 7787008 www.innovationfactory.eu

    *
    Disclaimer*
    *The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
    material. Any use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this
    delete the material from any computer. Innovation Factory does not accept
    liability for any errors, viruses or omissions in the contents of this
    message, which may arise as a result of e-mail transmission. No employee or
    agent is authorized to conclude any binding agreement on behalf of
    Innovation Factory with another party by email.*
  • David Laing at Apr 17, 2013 at 10:39 am
    I quite like the way bosh-bootstrap/bosh-cloudfoundry hand holds you
    through the whole process.

    Perhaps the rewrite could keep that "overall guidance" mindset, whilst
    delegating out to different tools?

    cloudfoundry/bosh/tree/master/**bosh_cli_plugin_aws<https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/tree/master/bosh_cli_plugin_aws>)
[...]

    Trading API @ City Index
    david@davidlaing.com
    http://davidlaing.com
    Twitter: @davidlaing
  • Martin Englund at Apr 17, 2013 at 11:49 am
    The aws plugin doesn't setup a inception VM (or development VM either)
    so think that is a good thing to have automated. I've pondered
    creating a bosh job that contains all you need to build stemcells, but
    having a starting point which doesn't require a working bosh is good
    :)

    As far as the pivotal workstation preparation tool, it is only used to
    setup the Macs we use, not an inception VM to build stemcells. I add
    Fusion and use it to build local stemcells when I'm unfortunate enough
    to have to tinker with the agent...

    /M

    On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 8:41 AM, Dr Nic Williams
[...]

    cheers,
    /Martin
    --
    Martin Englund, Cloud Foundry, Pivotal
    "The question is not if you are paranoid, it is if you are paranoid enough."

groupbosh-dev @
postedApr 12, '13 at 3:41p
activeApr 17, '13 at 11:49a