Hi guys,I've been focusing on Dr. Nic's tutorial series about how to create
a bosh.According to these meterials,when creating a custom stemcell, a
bosh-release should be created first.So what component is embeded in the
stemcell? A bosh release and bosh agent?
A bosh stemcell is a VM template with an embedded BOSH agent. what's the
difference between micro-bosh-stemcell and bosh-stemcell? I kinda think bosh-release
is not needed to create that.

Search Discussions

  • Martin Englund at Nov 8, 2012 at 5:11 pm
    Alan,

    the micro bosh stemcell is used to bootstrap your bosh environment. It is what you use to get your initial deployment of bosh going. The micro bosh stemcell comes pre-loaded with the bosh-release, while a regular stemcell doesn't have anything pre loaded (except for the bosh agent).

    You will upload the stemcell to your deployed micro bosh instance, and then use it in the deployments you do from there.

    You don't have to create your own stemcells (unless you really want to), just use one we have built:
    bosh public stemcells --tags all
    bosh download stemcell <stemcell name>

    I hope that explains it :)

    Cheers,
    /Martin

    Sent from my iPad
    Hi guys,I've been focusing on Dr. Nic's tutorial series about how to create a bosh.According to these meterials,when creating a custom stemcell, a bosh-release should be created first.So what component is embeded in the stemcell? A bosh release and bosh agent?
    A bosh stemcell is a VM template with an embedded BOSH agent. what's the difference between micro-bosh-stemcell and bosh-stemcell? I kinda think bosh-release is not needed to create that.
  • Alan Sun at Nov 9, 2012 at 2:15 am
    Martin,
    You give me what exactly what i want.That explains what's in that
    micro-bosh stemcell and how the self-deployment initialization works.
    Here is the thing.I want to create bosh from other IaaS(except aws or
    vSphere, say openstack) and the public bosh stemcells don't include the
    openstack stemcell(both micro bosh and bosh).Dr Nic have show me how to
    create a custom micro-bosh-stemcell,but i have no clue about the
    bosh-stemcell.Can i just use public bosh stemcell?
    在 2012年11月9日星期五UTC+8上午1时11分00秒,Martin Englund写道:
[...]

  • Dr Nic Williams at Nov 8, 2012 at 5:13 pm
    I will check my wording. A bosh deployment uses a stemcell and a release. A stemcell and release are independent of each other (those a release probably has some implicit assumptions about the stemcell).

    Cheers
    Nic

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
    Engine Yard
    The Leading Platform as a Service
    Mobile: +1 415 860 2185
    Skype: nicwilliams
    Twitter: @drnic

    Hi guys,I've been focusing on Dr. Nic's tutorial series about how to create a bosh.According to these meterials,when creating a custom stemcell, a bosh-release should be created first.So what component is embeded in the stemcell? A bosh release and bosh agent?
    A bosh stemcell is a VM template with an embedded BOSH agent. what's the difference between micro-bosh-stemcell and bosh-stemcell? I kinda think bosh-release is not needed to create that.
  • Alan Sun at Nov 9, 2012 at 2:29 am
    Now i know that stemcells and releases are independent of each other.I
    think the micro-bosh work is done.
    I get to say that your tutorials are really helping and I'm looking forward
    to your new articles about creating bosh from openstack.

    在 2012年11月9日星期五UTC+8上午1时13分06秒,Dr Nic Williams写道:
[...]

  • Dr Nic Williams at Nov 9, 2012 at 3:13 am
    BTW all credit for OpenStack tutorial content go to Ferran. I'm still yet to get my hands on OpenStack and vSphere environments!

[...]

  • Alan Sun at Nov 9, 2012 at 3:33 am
    Ah,i see. However,hope there will be more meterials for our newbies.I will
    keep my eye on it. :)

    在 2012年11月9日星期五UTC+8上午11时13分33秒,Dr Nic Williams写道:
[...]

groupbosh-dev @
postedNov 8, '12 at 9:23a
activeNov 9, '12 at 3:33a