Hello
Public stemcell contains the raw disk (or volume) image. This image
contains the OS + agent, but does not contains boot loader. This image may
not be used directly to run the virtual machine. As I see.
Questions:
1. How do I get the disk to start the virtual machine from a stem cell?
(The Upload_stemcall method does not contains the necessary commands. I
found only the following shell-command: tar-xzf image-O root.img | dd of =
...)
2. Boot Record, and other transformations occur during the deployment?
3. The public stemcell is not intended to create a virtual machine?
Thanks!

Search Discussions

  • Ruslan Karachun at Jul 30, 2012 at 7:18 am
    Hello.

    Who can help?

    Thanks!
    Public stemcell contains the raw disk (or volume) image. This image
    contains the OS + agent, but does not contains boot loader. This image
    may not be used directly to run the virtual machine. As I see.
    Questions:
    1. How do I get the disk to start the virtual machine from a stem cell?
    (The Upload_stemcall method does not contains the necessary commands. I
    found only the following shell-command: tar-xzf image-O root.img | dd
    of = ...)
    2. Boot Record, and other transformations occur during the deployment?
    3. The public stemcell is not intended to create a virtual machine?
    Thanks!
  • Vadim Spivak at Jul 30, 2012 at 7:29 am
    Which CPI are you using? AWS?

    -Vadim
    Public stemcell contains the raw disk (or volume) image. This image
    contains the OS + agent, but does not contains boot loader. This image
    may not be used directly to run the virtual machine. As I see.
    Questions:
    1. How do I get the disk to start the virtual machine from a stem cell?
    (The Upload_stemcall method does not contains the necessary commands. I
    found only the following shell-command: tar-xzf image-O root.img | dd
    of = ...)
    2. Boot Record, and other transformations occur during the deployment?
    3. The public stemcell is not intended to create a virtual machine?
    Thanks!
  • Ruslan Karachun at Jul 30, 2012 at 9:02 am
    I use AWS. For different cloud providers different stemcells?
    Please explain.
    Thanks.

    Public stemcell contains the raw disk (or volume) image. This image
    contains the OS + agent, but does not contains boot loader. This
    image
    may not be used directly to run the virtual machine. As I see.
    Questions:
    1. How do I get the disk to start the virtual machine from a
    stem cell?
    (The Upload_stemcall method does not contains the necessary
    commands. I
    found only the following shell-command: tar-xzf image-O
    root.img | dd
    of = ...)
    2. Boot Record, and other transformations occur during the
    deployment?
    3. The public stemcell is not intended to create a virtual machine?
    Thanks!
  • Vadim Spivak at Jul 30, 2012 at 9:18 am
    On AWS we use PV GRUB:
    http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/UserProvidedkernels.html

    -Vadim
[...]

groupbosh-dev @
postedJul 26, '12 at 2:53p
activeJul 30, '12 at 9:18a

Ruslan Karachun: 3 posts Vadim Spivak: 2 posts