Which user is /var/vcap/bosh/bin/monit run as? root or vcap?

Nic

Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism

The Leading Platform as a Service

Mobile: 415 860 2185

Skype: nicwilliams

Twitter: @drnic

Search Discussions

  • Oleg Shaldybin at Jul 16, 2012 at 7:55 pm
    It's running as root.

    On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:49 PM, Dr Nic Williams
    Which user is /var/vcap/bosh/bin/monit run as? root or vcap?

    Nic

    ------------------------------

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism

    [image: Engine Yard]

    --
    Best,
    Oleg

    (I'm building a dev/test harness inside Vagrant)

    Cheers
    Nic

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
    Engine Yard
    The Leading Platform as a Service
    Mobile: +1 415 860 2185
    Skype: nicwilliams
    Twitter: @drnic

    Which user is /var/vcap/bosh/bin/monit run as? root or vcap?

    Nic

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism

    The Leading Platform as a Service

    Mobile: 415 860 2185 (tel:415%20860%202185)

    Skype: nicwilliams

    Twitter: @drnic

    --
    Best,
    Oleg

[...]

  • Vadim Spivak at Jul 16, 2012 at 11:13 pm
    The design was to make everything owned by root but in the vcap group. We
    want most jobs (if possible) to run under vcap and also to prevent them
    from mutating jobs and packages.

    Monit runs as root to allow starting/stopping processes that need more
    privileges (low port, etc.)

    -Vadim
[...]

  • Dr Nic Williams at Jul 16, 2012 at 11:22 pm
    Ah, ok, I can see in the agent code several uses of "chmod root:#{BOSH_APP_USER}" https://skitch.com/drnic/e8ngq/find-in-project-bosh

    Thanks

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
    Engine Yard
    The Leading Platform as a Service
    Mobile: +1 415 860 2185
    Skype: nicwilliams
    Twitter: @drnic

    The design was to make everything owned by root but in the vcap group. We want most jobs (if possible) to run under vcap and also to prevent them from mutating jobs and packages.

    Monit runs as root to allow starting/stopping processes that need more privileges (low port, etc.)

    -Vadim
    Is there a pattern to which files/folders are kept as root and which are vcap?

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
    Engine Yard
    The Leading Platform as a Service
    Mobile: +1 415 860 2185 (tel:%2B1%20415%20860%202185)
    Skype: nicwilliams
    Twitter: @drnic

    (I'm building a dev/test harness inside Vagrant)

    Cheers
    Nic

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism
    Engine Yard
    The Leading Platform as a Service
    Mobile: +1 415 860 2185 (tel:%2B1%20415%20860%202185)
    Skype: nicwilliams
    Twitter: @drnic

    Which user is /var/vcap/bosh/bin/monit run as? root or vcap?

    Nic

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism

    The Leading Platform as a Service

    Mobile: 415 860 2185 (tel:415%20860%202185)

    Skype: nicwilliams

    Twitter: @drnic

    --
    Best,
    Oleg
  • Dr Nic Williams at Jul 16, 2012 at 11:41 pm
    There are two styles used in bosh-release and cf-release for saying "run as vcap"

    chpst -u vcap:vcap bundle exec rake db:migrate
    su - vcap -c "LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PACKAGE_DIR/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH $PACKAGE_DIR/bin/initdb -E utf8 -D $DATA_DIR"

    Are they semantically equivalent? When to use each one?

    Or are they the same and all use cases could be converged to one or the other?

[...]

  • Oleg Shaldybin at Jul 16, 2012 at 11:59 pm
    Semantically they are equivalent, chpst is usually easier to read but is
    generally less known (it comes with runit).
[...]

  • Misiak at Jul 17, 2012 at 11:29 am
    A bit of topic but still relevant - am I right to assume that bosh-
    agent is run and monitored by runit? But who starts the monit daemon?

    Cheers,
    Michal
[...]

  • Dr Nic Williams at Jul 17, 2012 at 1:25 pm
    I think monit is run in non-daemon (-I) mode by the agent.

[...]

  • Martin Englund at Jul 17, 2012 at 3:25 pm
    Correct. It is started from the agent in here:
    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/bosh/blob/master/agent/lib/agent/monit.rb#L285

    Cheers,
    /Martin

    On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Dr Nic Williams

    wrote:

[...]

    Martin Englund, Staff Engineer, Cloud Foundry, VMware Inc.
    "The question is not if you are paranoid, it is if you are paranoid enough."

groupbosh-dev @
postedJul 16, '12 at 7:51p
activeJul 17, '12 at 3:25p