Today I started on a tutorial for creating an Inception VM and a first Micro BOSH (using "bosh micro deploy").

https://github.com/drnic/bosh-getting-started/blob/master/creating-a-micro-bosh.md

I formalized the existence and preparation of an Inception VM, as I found the oss-docs documentation for deploying a micro bosh confusing. Perhaps its because there are so many concepts, combined with vSphere and AWS, going on in the documents.md one-page docs. Since I work on a Mac, I needed to make clear that there was an additional Ubuntu VM that was required (with a whole lot of stuff setup on it) to run the microbosh commands.

I started a bash script for converting a target Ubuntu VM into an Inception VM https://github.com/drnic/bosh-getting-started/blob/master/scripts/prepare_inception.sh. I think it does the minimal amount of work in order for "bosh micro" commands to work (pending CF-68 below and other hiccups).

When the tutorial is finished it will be the main tutorial for creating a BOSH, and the chef deployer tutorial will be moved into the Advanced/Other section. I've renamed all previous references to "microbosh" as "chefbosh" to avoid confusion.

I'm stuck during "bosh micro deploy <stemcell>" step:

https://cloudfoundry.atlassian.net/browse/CF-68

Help would be appreciated!

Nic

Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism

The Leading Platform as a Service

Mobile: 415 860 2185

Skype: nicwilliams

Twitter: @drnic

Search Discussions

  • Martin Englund at Jul 6, 2012 at 12:29 pm
    Nic,

    thanks for doing that! I'll help you if you get stuck - see my comments on
    the issue you created...

    You'll want to include this change when you are testing:
    http://reviews.cloudfoundry.org/#/c/6960/

    /M

    On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 12:20 AM, Dr Nic Williams
[...]

    ------------------------------

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism

    [image: Engine Yard]

    --
    cheers,
    /Martin

    Thanks for doing this!

    You may want to check out this tutorial as well. It's vsphere specific with
    the deployment manifests, but it runs through the process of BOSH
    inception.

    Regards,
    Jesse
[...]

  • Jesse Bastide at Jul 7, 2012 at 3:28 pm
    Oops, here's the link :)

    https://github.com/cloudfoundry/oss-docs/blob/master/bosh/tutorial/end_to_end_on_vsphere.md
[...]

  • Hmalphettes at Jul 12, 2012 at 3:10 am
    Thanks for doing this!
    In creating-a-micro-bosh-from-stemcell I reached this point:

    bosh download public stemcell micro-bosh-stemcell-aws-0.6.1.tgz

    But this is not a public stemcell yet.
    The stemcell available for micro-bosh is micro-bosh-0.1.0.tgz and won't
    boot on ec2/us-east-1
    Is there a link to download micro-bosh-stemcell-aws-0.6.1.tgz ?
    Just for a really early adopter with very low expectations on stability.
    Let me know if I should stick to the chef-deployer method to create a new
    bosh instead?

    Thanks,
    Hugues
[...]

  • Martin Englund at Jul 12, 2012 at 3:47 am
    Hugues,

    I've not made it public yet as there is a regression in the new stemcell
    builder which I need to fix, then I can make the new stemcell public

    (bug: the deployed micro bosh stemcell can't create new stemcells, so you
    won't be able to use the micro bosh for anything)

    cheers,
    /Martin

    creating-a-micro-bosh.md<https://github.com/drnic/bosh-getting-started/blob/master/creating-a-micro-bosh.md>

    master/scripts/prepare_**inception.sh<https://github.com/drnic/bosh-getting-started/blob/master/scripts/prepare_inception.sh>.
    I think it does the minimal amount of work in order for "bosh micro"
    commands to work (pending CF-68 below and other hiccups).

    When the tutorial is finished it will be the main tutorial for creating a
    BOSH, and the chef deployer tutorial will be moved into the Advanced/Other
    section. I've renamed all previous references to "microbosh" as "chefbosh"
    to avoid confusion.

    I'm stuck during "bosh micro deploy <stemcell>" step:

    https://cloudfoundry.**atlassian.net/browse/CF-68<https://cloudfoundry.atlassian.net/browse/CF-68>

    Help would be appreciated!

    Nic

    ------------------------------

    Dr Nic Williams - VP Developer Evangelism

    [image: Engine Yard]

    The Leading Platform as a Service

    Mobile: 415 860 2185

    Skype: nicwilliams

    Twitter: @drnic
    ------------------------------

    --
    cheers,
    /Martin
    --
    Martin Englund, Staff Engineer, Cloud Foundry, VMware Inc.
    "The question is not if you are paranoid, it is if you are paranoid enough."
  • Hugues Malphettes at Jul 12, 2012 at 4:53 am
    Oh all right then!
    Thanks for the info,

groupbosh-dev @
postedJul 6, '12 at 7:20a