FAQ
I am trying to install Cloudera Manager (CM) free edition 4.1 on RedHat
Enterprise 6.1. I follow the instructions and installation runs fine up to
the point where it tries to initialize the database. Here's the error:

/usr/share/cmf/bin/initialize_embedded_db.sh: line 158: initdb: command not
found
Could not initialize database server.


So when i first got the error, i found that

which initdb


didn't find initdb (which is odd since CM installed postgresql and -- heck
-- should know where it is) so i manually added the path to the
postgresql's bin directory so that "which initdb" found initdb as expected.
But STILL the CM installer script did NOT find initdb and i got the SAME
error.

I've been searching for info and i have found about 3 pages with relevant
info. Based on them, I've tried to eliminate issues that other's have said
to look for.

* selinux is disabled, so it's not that

* I'm running as root (for simplicity) not as sudo and am therefore
executing

./cloudera-manager-installer.bin

I assume the installer runs as root, so any root-visible paths would be
visible to the CM installer. So the installer SHOULD be able to see
initdb... but noooo.

* Postgresql was installed via the CM's script -- i.e., i didn't manually
install it. Thus, i assume a) it is a compatible version; and b) that CM
installer knows where to find it. But nooooo.


It's very hard to tell what's going on internally in the install script
since it rewrites it every time it installs (so i can't put any log
statements in it).

Any suggestions? I don't have a lot of experience with this, so am groping
a bit. I appreciate any help or suggestions.

Search Discussions

  • Joey Echeverria at Jan 21, 2013 at 8:52 pm
    Can you send the output of:

    rpm -qa | grep -i postgres

    I suspect that it pulled in the wrong version of postgres for some reason.

    -Joey

    On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 12:28 PM, wrote:

    I am trying to install Cloudera Manager (CM) free edition 4.1 on RedHat
    Enterprise 6.1. I follow the instructions and installation runs fine up to
    the point where it tries to initialize the database. Here's the error:

    /usr/share/cmf/bin/initialize_embedded_db.sh: line 158: initdb: command
    not found
    Could not initialize database server.


    So when i first got the error, i found that

    which initdb


    didn't find initdb (which is odd since CM installed postgresql and -- heck
    -- should know where it is) so i manually added the path to the
    postgresql's bin directory so that "which initdb" found initdb as expected.
    But STILL the CM installer script did NOT find initdb and i got the SAME
    error.

    I've been searching for info and i have found about 3 pages with relevant
    info. Based on them, I've tried to eliminate issues that other's have said
    to look for.

    * selinux is disabled, so it's not that

    * I'm running as root (for simplicity) not as sudo and am therefore
    executing

    ./cloudera-manager-installer.bin

    I assume the installer runs as root, so any root-visible paths would be
    visible to the CM installer. So the installer SHOULD be able to see
    initdb... but noooo.

    * Postgresql was installed via the CM's script -- i.e., i didn't manually
    install it. Thus, i assume a) it is a compatible version; and b) that CM
    installer knows where to find it. But nooooo.


    It's very hard to tell what's going on internally in the install script
    since it rewrites it every time it installs (so i can't put any log
    statements in it).

    Any suggestions? I don't have a lot of experience with this, so am groping
    a bit. I appreciate any help or suggestions.


    --
    Joey Echeverria
    Principal Solutions Architect
    Cloudera, Inc.
  • Misterblinky at Jan 21, 2013 at 11:05 pm
    Here is the result of running rpm -qa | grep -i postgres:

    # rpm -qa | grep -i postgres
    postgresql92-libs-9.2.2-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64
    postgresql92-server-9.2.2-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64
    postgresql92-9.2.2-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64
  • Joey Echeverria at Jan 21, 2013 at 11:27 pm
    Hey,

    So it definitely ended up installing an unsupported version of postgres.
    The supported list is here:

    https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/ENT41DOC/Requirements+for+Cloudera+Manager#RequirementsforClouderaManager-SupportedDatabasesforClouderaManager

    Can you show me the output of yum repolist? I think that you have a
    repository configured that's non-standard.

    -Joey

    On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:05 PM, wrote:

    Here is the result of running rpm -qa | grep -i postgres:

    # rpm -qa | grep -i postgres
    postgresql92-libs-9.2.2-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64
    postgresql92-server-9.2.2-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64
    postgresql92-9.2.2-1PGDG.rhel6.x86_64



    --
    Joey Echeverria
    Principal Solutions Architect
    Cloudera, Inc.
  • Misterblinky at Jan 21, 2013 at 11:58 pm
    Here it is:

    # yum repolist
    Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, subscription-manager
    Updating Red Hat repositories.
    pgdg92 | 2.8 kB 00:00
    repo id repo name
    status
    pgdg92 PostgreSQL 9.2 6Server - x86_64
    169

    (thanks very much for your help, btw)
  • Joey Echeverria at Jan 22, 2013 at 12:05 am
    Happy to help!

    Ok, so you definitely have a postgres 9.2 repo on your system. Can you go
    in and disable it?

    You should be able to find it configured in a file under /etc/yum.repos.d
    and you'll want to add a line that says the following:

    enabled=0

    Secondly, you'll want to make sure that the standard RH yum repos are
    available for pulling the right version of postgres. On my CentOS 6.2 box
    it has Postgresql 8.4

    -Joey

    On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM, wrote:

    Here it is:

    # yum repolist
    Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, subscription-manager
    Updating Red Hat repositories.
    pgdg92 | 2.8 kB 00:00
    repo id repo name
    status
    pgdg92 PostgreSQL 9.2 6Server - x86_64
    169

    (thanks very much for your help, btw)

    --
    Joey Echeverria
    Principal Solutions Architect
    Cloudera, Inc.
  • Misterblinky at Jan 22, 2013 at 12:51 am
    It looks like enabled=0 was already in that file. Here's what i found in
    the file:

    # more pgdg-92-redhat.repo
    [pgdg92]
    name=PostgreSQL 9.2 $releasever - $basearch
    baseurl=http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-$releasever-$basearch
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-PGDG-92

    [pgdg92-source]
    name=PostgreSQL 9.2 $releasever - $basearch - Source
    failovermethod=priority
    baseurl=http://yum.postgresql.org/srpms/9.2/redhat/rhel-$releasever-$basearch
    enabled=0
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-PGDG-92

    So i have a few questions:

    * How to disable this (since enabled=0 seems already to have been set).
    Should i just delete this file?
    * How do i know what the correct postgresql is supposed to be for Cloudera
    Manager 4.1?
    * And how do i enable the repository in yum? (As i mentioned, i have barely
    ever had to do anything with yum, so i'm just groping along...)
    * Finally, are there other repos that i shoudl have? Here's what i
    currently have in my yum.repos.d dir:

    # ls -l
    total 12
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 442 Sep 23 18:46 pgdg-92-redhat.repo
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 67 Jan 21 18:56 redhat.repo
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 529 Apr 27 2011 rhel-source.repo

    thx
  • Mister blinky at Jan 22, 2013 at 1:12 am
    ah... looks like it grabbed source (or some such thing) and that was what
    was disabled ... correcting that ...


    On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 7:51 PM, wrote:

    It looks like enabled=0 was already in that file. Here's what i found in
    the file:

    # more pgdg-92-redhat.repo
    [pgdg92]
    name=PostgreSQL 9.2 $releasever - $basearch
    baseurl=http://yum.postgresql.org/9.2/redhat/rhel-$releasever-$basearch
    enabled=1
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-PGDG-92

    [pgdg92-source]
    name=PostgreSQL 9.2 $releasever - $basearch - Source
    failovermethod=priority
    baseurl=
    http://yum.postgresql.org/srpms/9.2/redhat/rhel-$releasever-$basearch
    enabled=0
    gpgcheck=1
    gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-PGDG-92

    So i have a few questions:

    * How to disable this (since enabled=0 seems already to have been set).
    Should i just delete this file?
    * How do i know what the correct postgresql is supposed to be for Cloudera
    Manager 4.1?
    * And how do i enable the repository in yum? (As i mentioned, i have
    barely ever had to do anything with yum, so i'm just groping along...)
    * Finally, are there other repos that i shoudl have? Here's what i
    currently have in my yum.repos.d dir:

    # ls -l
    total 12
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 442 Sep 23 18:46 pgdg-92-redhat.repo
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 67 Jan 21 18:56 redhat.repo
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 529 Apr 27 2011 rhel-source.repo

    thx
  • Misterblinky at Jan 22, 2013 at 1:26 am
    ok ... so i removed the [source] part of that yum repo config and changed
    enabled to be 0. In the hopes of Cloudera taking control and installing the
    version it wants/needs, I then renamed my postgre 9.2 installation dir
    under /usr and took it's path out of the PATH var. So that would *seem*
    like a fresh-ish start at least for the postgre part of the install.

    Ran ./cloudera-manager-installer.bin. Same problem. Bails at same place.

    I then just moved that whole yum config for postgre 9.2 out of the
    yum.repo.d directory and tried again. Same prob.
  • Joey Echeverria at Jan 22, 2013 at 5:49 am
    Did you make sure to remove the old Postgres packages first?

    --
    Joey Echeverria
    Principal Solutions Architect
    Cloudera, Inc.

    On Monday, January 21, 2013 at 17:26, misterblinky@gmail.com wrote:

    ok ... so i removed the [source] part of that yum repo config and changed enabled to be 0. In the hopes of Cloudera taking control and installing the version it wants/needs, I then renamed my postgre 9.2 installation dir under /usr and took it's path out of the PATH var. So that would *seem* like a fresh-ish start at least for the postgre part of the install.

    Ran ./cloudera-manager-installer.bin. Same problem. Bails at same place.

    I then just moved that whole yum config for postgre 9.2 out of the yum.repo.d directory and tried again. Same prob.
  • Misterblinky at Jan 22, 2013 at 2:18 pm
    no, but now i did. Now it's stopping at
    "4.install-cloudera-manager-server-db.log" which is a good change cuz it
    means it does not see postgre 9.2. So it would would seem that the cloudera
    manager installer doesn't have a postresql-server bundled that has version
    8.0. Which it should, no?

    *# more 4.install-cloudera-manager-server-db.log*
    Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, subscription-manager
    Updating Red Hat repositories.
    Setting up Install Process
    Resolving Dependencies
    --> Running transaction check
    ---> Package cloudera-manager-server-db.x86_64 0:4.1.3-1.cm413.p0.456 will
    be in
    stalled
    --> Processing Dependency: postgresql-server >= 8.0 for package:
    cloudera-manage
    r-server-db-4.1.3-1.cm413.p0.456.x86_64
    --> Finished Dependency Resolution
    Error: Package: cloudera-manager-server-db-4.1.3-1.cm413.p0.456.x86_64
    (cloudera
    -manager)
    Requires: postgresql-server >= 8.0
    You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
    You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

    I ran

    rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest

    which returned nothing.
  • Misterblinky at Jan 22, 2013 at 3:39 pm
    Is it unusual that yum repolist returns basically nothing:

    # yum repolist
    Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, subscription-manager
    Updating Red Hat repositories.
    repolist: 0


    Or that yum.repos.d has only this:
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 67 Jan 22 10:36 redhat.repo
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 529 Apr 27 2011 rhel-source.repo

    Should there be Cloudera repos?

    I'm on RH 6.1
  • Joey Echeverria at Jan 22, 2013 at 3:46 pm
    Can you send the contents of redhat.repo?

    That's the one where it should be able to pull postgres from.

    -Joey

    On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 7:39 AM, wrote:

    Is it unusual that yum repolist returns basically nothing:

    # yum repolist
    Loaded plugins: product-id, refresh-packagekit, subscription-manager
    Updating Red Hat repositories.
    repolist: 0


    Or that yum.repos.d has only this:
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 67 Jan 22 10:36 redhat.repo

    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 529 Apr 27 2011 rhel-source.repo

    Should there be Cloudera repos?

    I'm on RH 6.1


    --
    Joey Echeverria
    Principal Solutions Architect
    Cloudera, Inc.
  • Misterblinky at Jan 23, 2013 at 5:42 pm
    It turned out that this had *nothing* to do with Cloudera's installer and
    everything to do with the fact that there was no valid repository set up in
    YUM from which the installation could get dependencies. I fixed my YUM
    issue and Cloudera Manager installed like a charm.

    Anyone seeing issues similar to mine, check your /etc/yum.repos.d and make
    sure you actually have the appropriate repositories enabled.

    Thank you, Joey, for taking the time to drill into this with me.

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupscm-users @
categorieshadoop
postedJan 21, '13 at 8:28p
activeJan 23, '13 at 5:42p
posts14
users2
websitecloudera.com
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Misterblinky: 9 posts Joey Echeverria: 5 posts

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase