FAQ
Hi Rupesh,

You could try something like:

$ sudo -u hive hive --service hiveserver 10000&

This sets the server to run on port 10000 (substitute 8083 if that's what
you're after). The & will bg the process in the same session and you can
continue working in that terminal.

Regards,
--
Mark Schnegelberger
Cloudera

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Rupesh Chakrala
wrote:
Hi Harsh,

Is there a way to start this as a service? This way it can be still
running in the background and I can continue my work without opening a new
terminal?

I would also like to use a custom port: 8083

I'm using CDH4 (4.0.2).


Thanks & Regards.
Rupesh

On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:55:44 AM UTC-7, Harsh J wrote:

That does not indicate a hang. Rather, the service has started up and
you can connect to its default port to work with it.
On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Michael Wang wrote:
Is Hive Thrift Server included in CDH 3? we need to connect to HIVE
from Microstrategy reports, and it requires the Thrift server. But I
tried to start it, and it just hangs as below.

# hive --service hiveserver
Starting Hive Thrift Server

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael
--
Harsh J

--

Search Discussions

  • Rupesh Chakrala at Oct 23, 2012 at 8:47 pm
    Thank you, Mark!

    This will do the trick. But, just curious about using Linux 'service'
    command to start this as a service or daemon? Is this in anyway possible?

    I also came across 'hive-server' package? Will this help here?


    Thanks & Regards,
    Rupesh

    On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Mark Schnegelberger wrote:

    Hi Rupesh,

    You could try something like:

    $ sudo -u hive hive --service hiveserver 10000&

    This sets the server to run on port 10000 (substitute 8083 if that's what
    you're after). The & will bg the process in the same session and you can
    continue working in that terminal.

    Regards,
    --
    Mark Schnegelberger
    Cloudera

    On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Rupesh Chakrala <achut.chakrala@gmail.com
    wrote:
    Hi Harsh,

    Is there a way to start this as a service? This way it can be still
    running in the background and I can continue my work without opening a new
    terminal?

    I would also like to use a custom port: 8083

    I'm using CDH4 (4.0.2).


    Thanks & Regards.
    Rupesh

    On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:55:44 AM UTC-7, Harsh J wrote:

    That does not indicate a hang. Rather, the service has started up and
    you can connect to its default port to work with it.
    On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Michael Wang wrote:
    Is Hive Thrift Server included in CDH 3? we need to connect to HIVE
    from Microstrategy reports, and it requires the Thrift server. But I
    tried to start it, and it just hangs as below.

    # hive --service hiveserver
    Starting Hive Thrift Server

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Michael
    --
    Harsh J

    --
  • Harsh J at Oct 24, 2012 at 3:46 am
    Hi Rupesh,

    Yes, you need the hive-server package installed, and you can then use
    "service hive-server start" and it would start the server like a
    regular daemon in the background automatically.

    However, I would not recommend using hive-server (HiveServer1) for
    production uses. Instead, use the new HiveServer2 that supports proper
    concurrent clients, and a host of other features, available in CDH 4.1
    onwards. Read more on that at
    https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/CDH4DOC/Hive+Installation#HiveInstallation-ConfiguringHiveServer2.
    The package is "hive-server2".

    On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Rupesh Chakrala
    wrote:
    Thank you, Mark!

    This will do the trick. But, just curious about using Linux 'service'
    command to start this as a service or daemon? Is this in anyway possible?

    I also came across 'hive-server' package? Will this help here?


    Thanks & Regards,
    Rupesh

    On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 12:37 PM, Mark Schnegelberger wrote:

    Hi Rupesh,

    You could try something like:

    $ sudo -u hive hive --service hiveserver 10000&

    This sets the server to run on port 10000 (substitute 8083 if that's what
    you're after). The & will bg the process in the same session and you can
    continue working in that terminal.

    Regards,
    --
    Mark Schnegelberger
    Cloudera

    On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Rupesh Chakrala
    wrote:
    Hi Harsh,

    Is there a way to start this as a service? This way it can be still
    running in the background and I can continue my work without opening a new
    terminal?

    I would also like to use a custom port: 8083

    I'm using CDH4 (4.0.2).


    Thanks & Regards.
    Rupesh

    On Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:55:44 AM UTC-7, Harsh J wrote:

    That does not indicate a hang. Rather, the service has started up and
    you can connect to its default port to work with it.
    On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Michael Wang wrote:
    Is Hive Thrift Server included in CDH 3? we need to connect to HIVE
    from Microstrategy reports, and it requires the Thrift server. But I
    tried to start it, and it just hangs as below.

    # hive --service hiveserver
    Starting Hive Thrift Server

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    Michael
    --
    Harsh J
    --



    --
    Harsh J

Related Discussions

Discussion Navigation
viewthread | post
Discussion Overview
groupscm-users @
categorieshadoop
postedOct 23, '12 at 7:37p
activeOct 24, '12 at 3:46a
posts3
users3
websitecloudera.com
irc#hadoop

People

Translate

site design / logo © 2022 Grokbase