So I've built impala from source, and I am running CDH5 in
pseuo-distributed mode. Hive runs fine and the metastore is set up. I've
also set up my configuration files in fe/src/test/resources as you guys
suggest on github.

However, I get the following error when starting impalad

E1128 09:43:15.011809 19494 impala-server.cc:390] Could not read the HDFS
root directory at hdfs://localhost:8020. Error was:
Failed on local exception:
com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: Message missing
required fields: callId, status; Host Details : local host is:
"localhost.localdomain/127.0.0.1"; destination host is: "localhost":8020;

Should I revert to CDH4 and try it out?

  • Alex Behm at Nov 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm
    Sounds like an HDFS version mismatch. If you've built Impala from source, I
    assume it was built against a CDH4 version of Hadoop/HDFS? I'm afraid that
    won't work with CDH5. You'll need to build Impala against a matching (CDH5)
    version of Hadoop. Since CDH5 Impala is still in beta, I'd not recommend
    trying to build Impala from source to make it work on CDH5 - it's going to
    be tricky, trust me,

    I'd suggest reverting to CDH4 for now.

    Cheers,

    Alex

    So I've built impala from source, and I am running CDH5 in
    pseuo-distributed mode. Hive runs fine and the metastore is set up. I've
    also set up my configuration files in fe/src/test/resources as you guys
    suggest on github.

    However, I get the following error when starting impalad

    E1128 09:43:15.011809 19494 impala-server.cc:390] Could not read the HDFS
    root directory at hdfs://localhost:8020. Error was:
    Failed on local exception:
    com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: Message missing
    required fields: callId, status; Host Details : local host is:
    "localhost.localdomain/127.0.0.1"; destination host is: "localhost":8020;

    Should I revert to CDH4 and try it out?

  • Prasan Samtani at Nov 28, 2013 at 10:56 pm
    No problem, I'll switch back

[...]

  • Constantine Peresypkin at Jun 26, 2014 at 1:05 pm
    Installed CDH5

    *$ dpkg -l | grep cdh*
    .
    .
    .
    *ii hadoop-hdfs
    2.3.0+cdh5.0.2+579-1.cdh5.0.2.p0.25~precise-cdh5.0.2 The Hadoop
    Distributed File System*
    .
    .
    .
    *ii impala
    1.3.1+cdh5.0.2+0-1.cdh5.0.2.p0.18~precise-cdh5.0.2 Application for
    executing real-time queries on top of Hadoop*
    *ii impala-server
    1.3.1+cdh5.0.2+0-1.cdh5.0.2.p0.18~precise-cdh5.0.2 Impala server*

    Still the same error.

    On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Prasan Samtani <prasan...@gmail.com

    email to impala-user...@cloudera.org <javascript:>.