The Hive Metastore is the service that manages the deletion of of table
data on a drop and should tell us why the data isn't being deleted. Can you
send the Metastore logs?

What I suspect might be happening is that the "impala" user doesn't have
its HDFS "Trash" folder configured properly, so the Metastore is unable to
delete the file for Impala.

Thanks,
Lenni