  Im trying to get Impala working with out custom setup of CDH4.3.1. Im able to create tables on Impala and query them from both Impala and Hive. However, tables created from Hive dont seem to work on Impala.
I have pasted the output of 'describe formatted' of the 2(1 created from impala and the other from hive) tables here. The only difference I can see is in "Num Buckets" attribute of the tables. What am I missing here?

For Eg:

1. Table stumbles_hive1 (created from the Impala shell)

hive> describe formatted stumbles_hive1;
OK
# col_name data_type comment

domain string None
url string None
urlid int None
topic int None
userid int None
method int None
device int None
stumblenum int None
created int None
requested int None
tag string None
topdomain string None
camp_id int None
ipaddr string None
estimatedtos int None

# Detailed Table Information
Database: default
Owner: sampd
CreateTime: Tue Sep 03 19:21:24 UTC 2013
LastAccessTime: UNKNOWN
Protect Mode: None
Retention: 0
Location: hdfs://sfor3s24:10101/tmp/sampd
Table Type: EXTERNAL_TABLE
Table Parameters:
         EXTERNAL TRUE
         transient_lastDdlTime 1378236084

# Storage Information
SerDe Library: org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.lazy.LazySimpleSerDe
InputFormat: org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat
OutputFormat: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat
Compressed: No
Num Buckets: 0
Bucket Columns: []
Sort Columns: []
Storage Desc Params:
         field.delim \t
         serialization.format \t

Im able to run a simple query like count(*) on this table. from both Hive cli and impala shell. They both return the correct result which here is 100000.

2. Table stumbles_hive(created from Hive) :

hive> describe formatted stumbles_hive;
OK
# col_name data_type comment

domain string None
url string None
urlid int None
topic int None
userid int None
method int None
device int None
stumblenum int None
created int None
requested int None
tag string None
topdomain string None
camp_id int None
ipaddr string None
estimatedtos int None

# Detailed Table Information
Database: default
Owner: sampd
CreateTime: Tue Sep 03 19:22:21 UTC 2013
LastAccessTime: UNKNOWN
Protect Mode: None
Retention: 0
Location: hdfs://sfor3s24:10101/tmp/sampd
Table Type: EXTERNAL_TABLE
Table Parameters:
         EXTERNAL TRUE
         transient_lastDdlTime 1378236141

# Storage Information
SerDe Library: org.apache.hadoop.hive.serde2.lazy.LazySimpleSerDe
InputFormat: org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TextInputFormat
OutputFormat: org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.io.HiveIgnoreKeyTextOutputFormat
Compressed: No
Num Buckets: -1
Bucket Columns: []
Sort Columns: []
Storage Desc Params:
         field.delim \t
         serialization.format \t
Time taken: 0.161 seconds

Im not able to query this table from Impala.

  • Sam William at Sep 3, 2013 at 7:57 pm
    The 'refresh' command was all I needed. Thanks to Ram.

    Sam
    Log into Impala and issue refresh command and try again.

    Ram

[...]

    Ram Krishnamurthy
    rkrishnamurthy@greenway-solutions.com
    Cell: 704-953-8125

    The information in this communication, including all attachments transmitted with it, is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender or Greenway Solutions immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions.