Hello, I'm beginner to use impala.

Now we are using impala to analyze apache logs.

we made table named 'apache' by hive metastore.
This table is using serde2.RegexSerDe like below

      ROW FORMAT SERDE 'org.apache.hadoop.hive.contrib.serde2.RegexSerDe'
      WITH SERDEPROPERTIES (
      "input.regex" =

After we made the table, and we refreshed the hive metastore.

And we query on impala-shell , there is an error like below

Server version: impalad version 1.0.1 RELEASE (build
df844fb967cec8740f08dfb8b21962bc053527ef)
Welcome to the Impala shell. Press TAB twice to see a list of available
commands.

Copyright (c) 2012 Cloudera, Inc. All rights reserved.

(Shell build version: Impala Shell v1.0.1 (df844fb) built on Tue Jun 4
08:08:13 PDT 2013)
[cluster4:21000] > select * from log limit 5;
Query: select * from log limit 5
ERROR: AnalysisException: Failed to load metadata for table: log
CAUSED BY: TableLoadingException: Failed to load metadata for table: log
CAUSED BY: InvalidStorageDescriptorException: Unsupported SerDe:
org.apache.hadoop.hive.contrib.serde2.RegexSerDe
--

impala/lib/hive-common-0.10.0-cdh4.3.0.jar exists in impala library
directory.

is serde2.RegexSerDe supported on impala?

and Is there any solution to analyze apache logs, regular expression or use
serde2.RegexSerDe on impala?

we knows current impala version does not support json.

have you a plan to support json format?

thanks
- jung lee

Search Discussions

  • Nong Li at Jul 22, 2013 at 10:12 pm
    We do not have any plans currently to support the regexserde. Having data
    files in json is
    not going to perform well and not recommended as the primary storage
    format. I encourage
    you to convert it to a better format for analytic workloads.

[...]

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop
postedJul 19, '13 at 7:41a
activeJul 22, '13 at 10:12p