When I try to start impala via Cloudera Manager, I get the following error
on every node for the impala daemon:

Command failed to start: com.cloudera.cmf.service.config.ConfigGenException: No Host in the cluster has heartbeat info. Unable to find CDH information.

Statestore starts fine. When I look at the hosts, I do see CDH Version
listed as "None". I am running Cloudera Manager 4.6 and did the initial
install via CM, though I have since update via yum on individual nodes.
  Everything is running with the most recent version of CDH. Impala used to
work, but recently started giving this error message on startup.

Is there some way to set the CDH version on the nodes so that it reports
CDH4 and impalad will start running. Alternatively, is there some way to
tell impalad to not check the CDH version so it will start? I believe
everything in the cluster is configured correctly, it just looks like CM
doesn't see the CDH version correctly so impala won't start.

Thanks,

Eric

Search Discussions

  • Vikas Singh at Jun 24, 2013 at 4:55 pm
    Hi Eric,

    Which mechanism did you use to install CDH, Parcels or Packages? CM gets
    CDH version information from the installation files
    (/usr/lib/hadoop/cloudera/cdh_version.properties) and it is not able to
    find that information, that is why you see CDH version as "None".

    Is it possible that this broke after you upgraded?

    Vikas
  • Eric Moore at Jun 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm
    I originally did the install via CM. When I updated, I tried updating via
    parcels, but got errors so I disabled the parcel and updated via
    yum/packages. Let me check for that file.
[...]

  • Eric Moore at Jun 24, 2013 at 6:20 pm
    Here is the contents of /usr/lib/hadoop/cloudera/cdh_version.properties on
    one of the worker nodes. Looks OK to me. Any suggestions?

      more cdh_version.properties

    # Autogenerated build properties
    version=2.0.0-cdh4.3.0
    git.hash=48a9315b342ca16de92fcc5be95ae3650629155a
    cloudera.hash=48a9315b342ca16de92fcc5be95ae3650629155a
    cloudera.base-branch=cdh4-base-2.0.0
    cloudera.build-branch=cdh4-2.0.0_4.3.0
    cloudera.pkg.version=2.0.0+1357
    cloudera.pkg.release=1.cdh4.3.0.p0.21
    cloudera.cdh.release=cdh4.3.0
    cloudera.build.time=2013.05.28-02:03:08GMT

    cloudera.pkg.name=hadoop

[...]

  • Vikas Singh at Jun 24, 2013 at 6:32 pm
    Hi Eric,

    bcc: impala-users

    Moving it to CM users list as this is more of a CM+CDH installation issue.

    So original install was using Parcel? I presume that now everything is
    running using packages, but can you please confirm. You can look at full
    path of command line of HDFS/MR process to figure that out. You can also
    look at cloudera agent log (/var/log/cloudera-scm-agent) on any worker node
    to see if there is any error reported there. Agent is the one that reports
    CDH version to the server and may print diagnostic message in the log if it
    can't find that.

    What is going on here is that agent process isn't able to read the file
    (maybe its looking at wrong location because of package/parcel switch) and
    thus not able to report it to the CM server.

    - Vikas

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop
postedJun 24, '13 at 4:44p
activeJun 24, '13 at 6:32p
websitecloudera.com
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Eric Moore: 3 posts Vikas Singh: 2 posts