Thanks Jonathan - I needed to use the (secret) windows 32 bit odbc panel

by running
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1134827/how-do-i-use-a-32-bit-odbc-driver-on-64-bit-server-2008-when-the-installer-doesn

"Apparently, Microsoft never renamed their "system32" folder, so system32
really has all of the 64 bit drivers. And SysWow64 folder has all of the 32
bit drivers. And launching the "odbcad32.exe" under the SysWOW64 folder
opens up the 32 bit version of the ODBC Data Sources dialog."