I have been testing connectivity from spotfire (a BI tool that competes with
  tableu, microstatergy, qlikview)

Q1) I notice there are different download links to impala odbc driver for
tableu, microstatergy, qlikview.

Are each of these drivers different or is it purely a "terms and
conditions" issue?

http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera-content/cloudera-docs/Impala/latest/Installing-and-Using-Impala/ciiu_impala_odbc.html?scroll=impala_odbc

Q2) I created a test table in impala and connected to this from Spotfire
(4.0.2.5) via the

odbc driver that I downloaded ( ClouderaHiveODBCSetup_v1_20.exe - which
displays as odbc drivers for hive 1.20.00.00 in the odbc control panel)

I am able to select from this table - however timestamp and bigint produce
errors shown below

I understand that spotfire is not explicitly supported - just curious
whether - if I can fix the timestamp field not supported issue but doing
something - like downloading a different driver, changing driver config etc

-- script for our test

hadoop fs -rm -skipTrash /user/ouruser/ourdb/test2/*

hadoop fs -copyFromLocal ./test2.txt /user/opsmispoc/opsmisdb/test2

create external table test2

(

    PKEY int,

    field1 boolean,

    field2 string,

    field3 int,

    field4 bigint,

    field5 tinyint,

    field6 smallint,

    field7 timestamp

)

row format delimited fields terminated by '|' location '/user/ouruser
/ourdb/test2';

select pkey from test2; -- working

select field1 from test2; --

select field2 from test2; -- working

select field3 from test2; -- working

select field4 from test2; -- fails

select field5 from test2; -- works

select field6 from test2; -- works

select field7 from test2; -- fails

*error for big int*

Error message: Unable to import data. See the details for more information.

ImportException at Spotfire.Dxp.Data:

Failed to execute data source query. (HRESULT: 80131500)

Stack Trace:

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataSourceConnection.ExecuteQuery2()

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataFlow.Execute()

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataFlow.DataFlowConnection.ExecuteQueryCore2()

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataSourceConnection.ExecuteQuery2()

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Producers.SourceColumnProducer.(String
title, ProgressOperation operation)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Producers.SourceColumnProducer.GetColumnsAndProperties(DataSourceConnection
connection)

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Persistence.DataItem.PerformUpdate()

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Persistence.DataItem.Update()

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Persistence.DataPool.()

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Producers.SourceColumnProducer.OnConfigure()

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.DocumentNode.Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.IDocumentNode.OnConfigure()

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.Node.ConfigureSubTree()

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.Node.<ConfigureSubTree>b__22(Node node)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.UndoableListAvlLeaf`1.ForEachChild(Action`1
action, Boolean includeFrozen)

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.Node.ConfigureSubTree()

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.Node.<ConfigureSubTree>b__22(Node node)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.UndoableList`1.ForEachChild(Action`1
action, Boolean includeFrozen)

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.Node.ConfigureSubTree()

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.Node.<ConfigureSubTree>b__22(Node node)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.State.NodeState.<>c__DisplayClass9.<ForEachManagedChild>b__8(IDocumentNodeChild
documentNodeChild)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.State.NodeState.ForEachChild(IDocumentNodeChild[]
children, Action`1 action)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.State.ConfiguringDocumentNodeState.ForEachChild(Action`1
action)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.State.NodeState.ForEachManagedChild(Action`1
action)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.DocumentNode.ForEachChild(Action`1
action, Boolean includeFrozen)

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.Node.ConfigureSubTree()

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.Node.Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.INode.ConfigureSubTree()

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.DocumentNode.Configure()

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.DocumentNode.(String
title, IndeterminateProgressFormatter progressFormatter,
ProgressSpeedFormatter speedFormatter, ProgressOperation operation)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.DocumentNode.ConfigureAndAttachFromNew()

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.DocumentNode.AttachSubTreeWhileExecuting(UndoableNode
newOwner)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.DocumentNode.AttachToUndoableNode(UndoableNode
newOwner)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.DocumentNode.Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.IDocumentNode.AttachToUndoableNode(UndoableNode
undoableNodeToAttachTo)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.UndoableNode.Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.IUndoableNode.AttachItemToUndoableNode(Object
item)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.UndoableKeyedCollection`2.(Executor
executor)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.UndoableKeyedCollection`2.Insert(Int32
index, TNode item)

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataTableCollection.Add(String dataTableName,
DataSource dataSource)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Data.Import.AddDataTablesDialog.DataSourceItem.(String
title, ProgressOperation operation)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Data.Import.AddDataTablesDialog.DataSourceItem.<Execute>d__19.MoveNext()

ArgumentException at System.Data:

Unknown SQL type - -25. (HRESULT: 80070057)

Stack Trace:

    at System.Data.Odbc.TypeMap.FromSqlType(SQL_TYPE sqltype)

    at System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataReader.GetSqlType(Int32 i)

    at System.Data.Odbc.OdbcDataReader.GetFieldType(Int32 i)

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.DatabaseExtendedReader.GetFieldType(Int32 i)

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataType.FromImportReaderColumn(IDataReader reader,
Int32 columnIndex)

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.IDataReaderWrapper..ctor(IDataReader dataReader,
IList`1 columnProperties, ResultProperties resultProperties)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Import.DatabaseDataSource.CreateDataRowReader(IServiceProvider
serviceProvider)

    at
Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataSourceConnection.LegacyDataSourceConnection.ExecuteQueryCore2()

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataSourceConnection.ExecuteQuery2()

Search Discussions

  • Jonathan Seidman at Jun 19, 2013 at 6:53 pm
    Paul – We're currently working with Tibco on certifying Spotfire with
    Impala. I don't have an expected release date, but I'd urge you to reach
    out to your Tibco rep for more details and timeline. To answer your first
    question, there is just one build of the driver for each supported OS
    (Windows and Linux), so the driver you downloaded is the only version
    available for Windows. Until we do have certified support for Spotfire, it
    seems reasonable to try making changes to work around the datatype issues,
    although of course I can't promise you won't run into subsequent issues. If
    you do get a chance to try this please let us know how it goes.

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    (****

    PKEY int,****

    field1 boolean,****

    field2 string,****

    field3 int,****

    field4 bigint,****

    field5 tinyint,****

    field6 smallint,****

    field7 timestamp****

    )****

    row format delimited fields terminated by '|' location '/user/ouruser
    /ourdb/test2';****

    ** **

    select pkey from test2; -- working****

    select field1 from test2; --

    select field2 from test2; -- working****

    select field3 from test2; -- working****

    select field4 from test2; -- fails****

    select field5 from test2; -- works****

    select field6 from test2; -- works****

    select field7 from test2; -- fails****

    ** **

    ** **

    *error for big int*

    Error message: Unable to import data. See the details for more information.
    ****

    ** **

    *

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataSourceConnection.ExecuteQuery2()****

    at
    Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Producers.SourceColumnProducer.<>c__DisplayClassa.<GetColumnsAndProperties>b__7()
    ****

    at
    Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.ApplicationModel.Progress.ExecuteSubtask(String
    title, ProgressOperation operation)****

    at
    Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Producers.SourceColumnProducer.GetColumnsAndProperties(DataSourceConnection
    connection)****

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Persistence.DataItem.PerformUpdate()****

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Persistence.DataItem.Update()****

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Persistence.DataPool.<LoadData>d__1.MoveNext()****

    at
    Spotfire.Dxp.Data.Producers.SourceColumnProducer.ConfigureAndLoadData()***
    *

[...]

    Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.DocumentNode.<ConfigureAndAttachFromNew>b__79()
    ****

[...]

    Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.UndoableKeyedCollection`2.<>c__DisplayClass6.<Insert>b__5()
    ****

    at
    Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.Node.Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.INode.InternalTransaction(Executor
    executor)****

    at
    Spotfire.Dxp.Framework.DocumentModel.UndoableKeyedCollection`2.Insert(Int32
    index, TNode item)****

    at Spotfire.Dxp.Data.DataTableCollection.Add(String dataTableName,
    DataSource dataSource)****

    at
    Spotfire.Dxp.Forms.Data.Import.AddDataTablesDialog.DataSourceItem.<>c__DisplayClass17.<Execute>b__15()
    ****

[...]

groupimpala-user @
categorieshadoop
postedJun 18, '13 at 11:59a
activeJun 19, '13 at 6:53p
websitecloudera.com
irc#hadoop

2 users in discussion

Paul Birnie: 1 post Jonathan Seidman: 1 post